Stones v Colchester

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Stones v Colchester

Postby Royal Blue » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:31 am

BornundertheElmslie wrote:Likewise, enjoyed the game too. Very competitive and I thought we were the better side in the first half. Connor Smith looked strong in the middle and the back 4 very solid. Not sure Moses out wide really worked and Lafayette seemed to struggle with his first touch as Colchester got tight on him.

Additions to the squad are inevitable but it’s good we are not rushing in given the 1000+ pros out of contract right now. Plenty of choice nearer to the season starting. There was a short interview with DB on the National League Twitter account over the weekend where he highlighted how our game plan will need to change this season, less about overloads in the opposition half and fullbacks bombing on, the quality of the opposition will hurt us if we’re not tactically astute.

Whilst there were a few technical issues with the live streaming, it’s the first time we’ve ever done something like this and I’m impressed tbh. Watched on TV and the picture quality was great, commentary very professional too.

Didn't see the game but heard there were reasons to be cheerful first half. Bit disappointed with Danny Green for getting sent off though. We need 'National League Greeny' to turn up next season otherwise he'll be an accessory.

Regarding DB's tactics next season - I would have thought the 'Bayern overload with sweeper keeper' would be one of the ways we would actually win a game. We can't long ball it with our current squad, nor can we tip tap it to the goal - what's left? Soak and counter attack!!!

Regardless of all that we NEED a Clifford replacement. He scored enough and he created and assisted so many.
Last edited by Royal Blue on Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Royal Blue

Postby charlie » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:07 am

Well maybe we have a Billy replacement... Charlie asked the question has the aldershot/celtic player moved on.

The man in the frame "kitman" responded with incorrect... I guess its all about players attitude willing to work etc etc.going forward.

Thought George Mclennan at left back looked a little suspect despite Guvnors glowing comment. Injury has put him back. Mendy looked far superior defensively and offensively.
charlie

Postby BornundertheElmslie » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:27 am

Royal Blue wrote:Regardless of all that we NEED a Clifford replacement. He scored enough and he created and assisted so many.

You only need to look at the feedback from Aldershot fans on Benyu to see he could have the X factor in our midfield. Opposition fans describe him as the best player in the division when he featured for The Shots before joining Celtic. Not sure he's played much football recently so fitness is going to be an issue but good to see he's still about.

And talking of players who are available, former Conference Player of the Year Ricky Miller - who made 3 appearances for us in 2011 - is without a club since leaving Port Vale last year. Prolific 3 years ago with 40 National League goals in 41 games (and 20 the season before). Still only 31, he lives locally and the only football he's playing is for my mate's Sunday League side because of some personal issues he had..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Miller#Career_statistics
BornundertheElmslie

Postby breakspear stones » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:44 pm

BornundertheElmslie wrote:
Royal Blue wrote:Regardless of all that we NEED a Clifford replacement. He scored enough and he created and assisted so many.

You only need to look at the feedback from Aldershot fans on Benyu to see he could have the X factor in our midfield. Opposition fans describe him as the best player in the division when he featured for The Shots before joining Celtic. Not sure he's played much football recently so fitness is going to be an issue but good to see he's still about.

And talking of players who are available, former Conference Player of the Year Ricky Miller - who made 3 appearances for us in 2011 - is without a club since leaving Port Vale last year. Prolific 3 years ago with 40 National League goals in 41 games (and 20 the season before). Still only 31, he lives locally and the only football he's playing is for my mate's Sunday League side because of some personal issues he had..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Miller#Career_statistics

One of his 3 appearances was at Lewes away on that infamous day out & I believe he couldn’t get over how passionate we are as fans

UTS
breakspear stones

Postby Royal Blue » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:08 pm

I must admit when I first saw Benyu at Bedford I thought he was a lucky trialist. Kinda lost. But then he did get into some good positions and took a couple of shots. On the telly against Luton I saw some nice touches. Perhaps he needs some extra attention, get him up to speed. If he was a star in the NL then got a contract at Celtic, he simply must be good. You don’t lose class. Perfect for DB to resurrect perhaps but as fans we just don’t know the full story.
Last edited by Royal Blue on Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Royal Blue

Postby BornundertheElmslie » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:14 pm

Royal Blue wrote:I must admit when I first saw Benyu at Bedford I thought he was a lucky trialist. Kinda lost. But then he did get into some good positions and took a couple of shots. In the telly against Luton I saw some nice touches. Perhaps he needs some extra attention, get him up to speed. If he was a star in the NL then got a contract at Celtic, he simply must be good. You don’t lose class. Perfect for DB to resurrect.

You can see why they got excited.. https://youtu.be/JGwbbyUuNlI
BornundertheElmslie

Postby Royal Blue » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:44 pm

Saw enough by 4:00. He hurts teams. We haven’t seen that ability since Eisa and Lewis. Sign him up! (he says only slightly flippantly).

But anyway, given Green’s sending off and that Benyu might be his attacking replacement/alternative - it could be nice to see Benyu get 90 mins alongside the team of champs? As good as Phillips, Charles and Smith are, I don’t see them causing major problems for teams going forward.

What we don’t also know is - what other potential gems are there in trialists A-Z? Tricky for the MT this - they’ll perhaps have to go on limited evidence and their gut before the great culling Tuesday week.
Royal Blue

Previous

Return to stonesnet forum