1st October return

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: 1st October return

Postby timfparks » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:21 pm

Stoney Ground wrote:
timfparks wrote:Well that's all very entertaining Khanna. What about if we stop seeing ourselves as victims and inject some energy into what will be the club's highest-level League match in 32 years in just four days time?
I am mostly hearing people saying 'I can't be arsed to even watch on the telly if I can't get into the ground' and 'we are being denied our wonderful away trips, boo hoo hoo'. 'Why should I buy an electronic programme if I can't get to the ground?' ...
Are we fans or not? Do we want our club to survive? Can we not adapt to the change in circumstances, hopefully for just a few months? Are we that self-centred?
I urge people to get involved; come to The Vale if they can (and if there's room, with three screens there should be) and if not, BUY the improved live feed which is essential to the club's future and BUY the online programme which is looking fantastic and which is also key part of the financing. And by the way, Robin Wainwright will be the guest pundit for Saturday's live streaming, providing a link between Stones in the Conference 1979-88, and today's team.
In short, DON"T WALK AWAY. The momentum that should have been generated by last year's promotion is in danger of withering away, and that would be criminal if we allow it to happen. I'm as disappointed as anyone that we couldn't enjoy that success as we would have liked. But it could just be a small asterisk in our club's history. Let's all play our part!

Most condescending post of the year award.

I love you too Don.
Obviously I recognise Khanna's humour, having known him for 30-odd years, and it WAS very entertaining. I don't doubt your commitment Don, and as as you and Leigh travel up from Hereford for games I clearly wasn't addressing you. But you know that
timfparks

Postby The Guvnor » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:24 am

Listened to El Presidente on Talk Sport this morning outlining the harsh realities for clubs such as us and the absurdity of some of the restrictions on life at the moment.

I guess it all helps puts the pressure on because without financial help the game in this country is dead. All very well sitting in the Premier League ivory towers thinking its not your problem, but it will be because without a pyramid such as we have in this country the top clubs will die a slow painful death as well.

Unfortunately I suspect most of them are too self centred to see that far ahead.

It might seem a bit shallow but if football collapsed in this country it would have a far greater impact than anything Covid 19 can throw at you. Football fans will understand that but those from the rugger fields of Eton who now run this country won't have a clue and thats what is pissing every one off. They are so detached from day to day society, how can they make considered life changing decisions for the masses ?

The answer is they can't which is why there is so much discord at present.

So in a nutshell if you are relying on the Premier League and the Government to do the right thing you are right up sh*t creek without a paddle in sight.
The Guvnor

Postby attic » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:45 am

Football is a cultural giant in the UK. As I suppose is cricket and rugger to a lesser extent. However I do wonder what the TV audience v live audience figures are. Dare I say once you add the global factor, the premier league especially is miles ahead TV wise. Ultimately thats what decisions will be based on. The super elite who have the final say are further up the pecking order than most world governments. Hence the insistence that the season concluded with no null and void at elite level.

The hundreds of millions of potential TV audiences in the far East mean more than me and you attending a football match.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby charlie » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:57 am

What a great first post from "whoareya" replying to that bloke charlie.

I get a feeling we are gonna be OK this season.
charlie

Postby worruz » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:27 am

There is some talk of a financial rescue package for NL clubs prior to this Saturday's start.

All well and good if it happens but I still don't see why home fans only can't be implemented with capacity restrictions and masks and distancing enforced.

And why only 72 hours before the big kick off are they deciding to dangle the carrot of a package?

Doesn't the Sport and Culture Secretary, or whatever he's called, and his advisors know when the season starts?

Contracts kick in this weekend so some clarity would be nice, a bit more than three days before the start of the season.

Ridiculous.
'I only want to help you Ro-land'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby Lanarkian » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:13 pm

It is complete madness showing the game in the Social Club on Saturday (socially distant indoors?) and blocking the windows so that nobody can see the pitch next door.
Lanarkian

Postby Royal Blue » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:38 pm

Sports Minister confirmed financial support package for NL in parliament today. Detail being worked through by DCMS (as we speak he said). Deadline for submissions on gate receipts, etc is today.

Be astounded if National League board called it all off now. Minister also gave no timeline when fans would be allowed back in - 'only when safe to do so'.

It's going ahead, behind closed doors.
Royal Blue

Postby The Guvnor » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:39 pm

Lanarkian wrote:It is complete madness showing the game in the Social Club on Saturday (socially distant indoors?) and blocking the windows so that nobody can see the pitch next door.

Of course it is but we've had this throughout pre season so although its nothing new for us its only now its getting air time. For those that like a drink theres no reason why you shouldn't still be able to have a good day out at The Vale, we've all had to adapt in one way or another. I'm guessing there are some who can't do without their Saturday live football fix so this may impact us but I just can't see that being allowed to continue for much longer so make the most of it.
The Guvnor

Postby StoneBroke » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:30 pm

I really don’t understand why I can walk around an indoor shopping center wearing a mask with thousands of others, yet I am not allowed to stand outside among fewer people , still wearing mask.
StoneBroke

Postby BillyByrneFan » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:14 pm

StoneBroke wrote:I really don’t understand why I can walk around an indoor shopping center wearing a mask with thousands of others, yet I am not allowed to stand outside among fewer people , still wearing mask.

That and so many other things don't make sense anymore. All we can do is get behind the team in any way we can. COYS!
BillyByrneFan

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum