1st October return

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: 1st October return

Postby charlie » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:13 am

Just to pick up Royal Blues point.Stating this virus is AIRBORNE.

If it was airborne there would be no social distancing !!. Its is DROPLET i.e.coughs/sneezing but not airborne.

If it was airborne we would all be dropping like fly s.
charlie

Postby Royal Blue » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:29 am

charlie wrote:Just to pick up Royal Blues point.Stating this virus is AIRBORNE.

If it was airborne there would be no social distancing !!. Its is DROPLET i.e.coughs/sneezing but not airborne.

If it was airborne we would all be dropping like fly s.

Those droplets, aerosols - stay in the air for some time and can cover quite a wide area where there is poor ventilation Charlie - hence the super spreader events such as the Washington choir practice. That's what I'm getting at. It's not just coughing and sneezing. It could be speaking or singing for example - normal human activity. Ideally we'd all have N95 or better masks.

"Following a 2.5-hour choir practice attended by 61 persons, including a symptomatic index patient, 32 confirmed and 20 probable secondary COVID-19 cases occurred (attack rate = 53.3% to 86.7%); three patients were hospitalized, and two died. Transmission was likely facilitated by close proximity (within 6 feet) during practice and augmented by the act of singing."

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6919e6.htm
Last edited by Royal Blue on Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Royal Blue

Postby attic » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:06 am

So, no more kissing, f***ing or watching football. Not all at the same time mind!!!!
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby BornundertheElmslie » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:55 am

Very interesting article on Sweden's controversial approach to dealing with the virus, and how they are creating systems to cope for the long term rather than short term tactics to try and supress whilst hoping for a vaccine.
https://www.ft.com/content/5cc92d45-fbdb-43b7-9c66-26501693a371

If fans aren't allowed back in for 6 months but leagues kick off, then clubs need to think creatively about solutions that engage supporters and drive revenue. Without supporters the game is meaningless at this level. If games are going to be streamed, why not set up a huge screen/projector on the outside field at The Vale and have a drive in cinema type event (which have been very popular this summer)? Supporters attend in their cars, food and drink can be sold and we watch the game together in a very covid secure environment. It would be a unique experience as well, not many other clubs have the space we have to be able to do this. And we get some sort of communal experience supporting our team rather than watching in isolation via a stream over the internet.
BornundertheElmslie

Postby GingerGuy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:06 pm

have a drive in cinema type event

I can hear it now. A chorus of tooting when the referee makes a wrong decision, clearly audible from the pitch :)
GingerGuy

Postby charlie » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:16 pm

Thank you Royal Blue for reply.

Off the sherry at present onto Vodka and Red Bull.

Love the idea from BUTE. A drive in cinema to watch the mighty stones... in the pissing rain... cars getting stuck all over the field.
charlie

Postby attic » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:00 pm

Good idea re the field. Sadly from about now on its gonna start getting a bit boggy.

Tractor pulling anyone?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Royal Blue » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:39 pm

BornundertheElmslie wrote:Very interesting article on Sweden's controversial approach to dealing with the virus, and how they are creating systems to cope for the long term rather than short term tactics to try and supress whilst hoping for a vaccine.
https://www.ft.com/content/5cc92d45-fbdb-43b7-9c66-26501693a371

If fans aren't allowed back in for 6 months but leagues kick off, then clubs need to think creatively about solutions that engage supporters and drive revenue. Without supporters the game is meaningless at this level. If games are going to be streamed, why not set up a huge screen/projector on the outside field at The Vale and have a drive in cinema type event (which have been very popular this summer)? Supporters attend in their cars, food and drink can be sold and we watch the game together in a very covid secure environment. It would be a unique experience as well, not many other clubs have the space we have to be able to do this. And we get some sort of communal experience supporting our team rather than watching in isolation via a stream over the internet.

Loved this idea too. I can see it now - smoke rising from the burger van, sunset behind the floodlights, pre match music - 'Don Henley's 'Boys of Summer' ringing out over the speakers, Vinnie Jones as special guest commentator. Marvellous. Please organise asap, I'm down.
Royal Blue

Postby Royal Blue » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:41 pm

Windermere Bore wrote::lol: :lol:
"That's great! That's just f**kin' great, man! Now what the f**k are are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty s**t now, man! That's it, man! Game over, man! Game over!"
"We'd better go back inside. They mostly come in winter. Mostly."
:lol: :lol:

Every time I hear any politician open its mouth on the subject of Covid-19, I think of that scene in "Aliens." Hudson displayed more rationality & level-headed self-control that any of the 650 stipendiary parasites in the mock-gothic monstrosity by the Thames and Newt displayed more leadership & common sense.
Did Bill Paxton die "of coronavirus"? Time just merges into one long Kafkaesque farce.
It's like a reverse of the Python "Lion Tamer / Chartered Accountant" sketch. We're gearing-up for taming lions, when it's actually ant-lions on the loose. We are encountering - I wouldn't en-noble our efforts by using the term "dealing with" - a very mild virus. Not an infestation of Xenomorphs.

People are the product of their upbringing & environment.
I suppose if you're 50-odd and you've spent your life sitting on your ample posterior at a desk: creating no wealth, earning no money, but being paid a handsome stipend for performing a largely un-necessary bureaucratic function; you're now five stone overweight, diabetic, on beta-blockers and valium, with other "underlying medical conditions"; you're "traumatised" by hearing an "offensive" word, rendered catatonic by the thought of inhaling a particle of cigarette smoke and terrified at the prospect of a vehicle doing more than 20mph on a 4-lane A-road containing no shops or amenities; then your chances of dying before your time have been increased maybe 30% or 50% by Covid-19. It's understandable that you should be developing a variety of psychoses.
If you're a miner in Africa, Russia, China, S.America, a fisherman anywhere with lively weather, a Noo Yoik City bicycle messenger, an Isle of Man TT racer, a fireman or - Heaven forefend! - a squaddie lurking close to a front line somewhere, you're likely to be fit & healthy. Covid-19 has almost certainly increased your chances of dying before your time by less than 0.1%.
I've worked with 7 people I've known reasonably well who've died doing the job I've almost always done. Plus one who was off work, minding his own business, riding a sports bike past Kew Gardens, when someone pulled-out and killed him. Two more in wheelchairs. One with one leg. Respiratory conditions apart, my "underlying medical condition" - for which I should be on daily, lifelong medication - is seemingly the one most likely to be fatal if I get Covid-19. It's not as if I'm svelte & fit these days either.
I think this entire charade is utter bollocks and everybody except the very vulnerable should get back to normal right now. But then I think that's what we should've been doing since March. The (unused) Nightingale Hospitals were the only good idea we've had so far. The NHS would've recovered from the hit. So what if 500,000 morons in this pathetic excuse for a nation die earlier than they would've done? The initial lockdown had only three realistic chances of success: 1) - someone developed a vaccine; 2) - the virus died in summer temperatures; 3) - the virus quickly mutated to a form that is far less likely to kill its host. None of those three was ever likely.
The more "people" this virus & resultant paranoia kills in this pathetic excuse for a nation, the better - and as for euthanising the insolvent trading companies that were once football clubs...
Happy Equinox to you all :D ! Maybe sacrificing a virgin or two might appease the Corona god. Just a thought.

Happy autumnal equinox to you too. When can we have the next instalment of this thrilling read? LOVED the Aliens reference. A huge departure from the original masterpiece but nonetheless, still a great movie. Check out the 'Hey Vasquez' scene one more time - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVn2HSHW1aI
Royal Blue

Postby BornundertheElmslie » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:54 pm

attic wrote:Good idea re the field. Sadly from about now on its gonna start getting a bit boggy.

Plastic tiles can be put down to protect the grass. And if a big screen isn't possible, make sure the wifi is working and just invite people to watch the game on their laptops/tablets/phones from their cars. Sell them beer/drinks, burgers, programmes, merchandise etc. A communal experience that might even have a positive impact on the players and the club makes desperately needed revenue. Sounds like the majority of the full time NL clubs are lobbying hard for the season to start so we need to do something..
BornundertheElmslie

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum