1st October return

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: 1st October return

Postby Chap Stone » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:33 pm

Royal Blue wrote: Loved this idea too. I can see it now - smoke rising from the burger van, sunset behind the floodlights, pre match music - 'Don Henley's 'Boys of Summer' ringing out over the speakers, Vinnie Jones as special guest commentator. Marvellous. Please organise asap, I'm down.

Talking of Vinnie, seeing as Hollywood Star Ryan Reynolds is investing in fellow NL club Wrexham, maybe Mr Jones could persuade some of his Hollywood chums to invest in the Stones, to ensure the club survives the pandemic.
Chap Stone

Postby Tonyd » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:41 pm

Why is watching our games in a car on a small screen or iPad outside the ground remotely exciting? Given attendances that could have been 1000+, how many do you think would be attracted to this idea on a miserable Saturday and Tuesday in winter to balance that loss? For that matter, how many will be interested in streaming games onto a pc or tv? I would suggest nowhere near enough to make any financial difference.

If the league starts, money will be spent in shed loads with insufficient income generated. In my book, we’re cooking a recipe for disaster, as much as I’d like to see the team play live. Clubs in north and south will go to the wall if they’re forced to start by bigger ex league clubs in the national and a few of us in the national may go that way too..
Tonyd

Postby MellowYellow » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:39 am

I agree with Tonyd but then I thought socially-distanced football with no away fans or travel sounded like a pretty poor reward for returning to the top tier of non-league! I’m afraid my attitude to the virus has barely evolved from frustration and resentment. It’ll be more practical and creative minds like BUTE that see the club through this.
MellowYellow

Postby charlie » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:26 am

Oh God ..are we all just fed up .

What could off been for Wealdstone Football club... Did we win the league ?...all of us never got to see the end result. in the normal way.

Attendance wise/new fans and extra revenue all gone West...Momentum lost forever.

Regarding above comments on Vinnie Jones. When the club had the Double Winning dinner (35th year anniversary) . All the squad invited were present apart from Vinnie and Roy Davies.

We were told Vinnie was too busy. Actually he was watching Watford play ! ..To invest in the club??.. would be great ..but two chances Bob Hope/No Hope.

Nothing against Vinnie Jones .. seeing him on Piers Morgan show recently was emotional.
charlie

Postby The Guvnor » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:56 am

Personally I'm happy with who we have running the club and the way they run it. We had a couple of years recently where we splashed the cash and it didn't get us very far did it ?

In fact it made the club rather toxic in my opinion, loads of money always brings issues.

Happy to be a steady Eddie type of club, at least you know we'll always be there. Which is why I'm not overly concerned with the current situation, we will find a way to keep going.

Moving forward the NL needs considerable finance to get up and running and I'm not sure that will be forthcoming so we could well be looking at a null and void season. You can tell the clubs who have stretched themselves as they are ones shouting loudest right now.

I suspect if you asked most Stones fans the preference would be a null and void season as opposed to not being able to travel or enjoy some of the packed houses we would have had at The Vale. Personally a diluted NL experience doesn't float my boat and I'd be happy to wait a year to get the most out of what will be a great experience.

It also gives us a year to sort out the midfield.
The Guvnor

Postby Not Happy » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:53 pm

Tonyd wrote:Why is watching our games in a car on a small screen or iPad outside the ground remotely exciting? Given attendances that could have been 1000+, how many do you think would be attracted to this idea on a miserable Saturday and Tuesday in winter to balance that loss? For that matter, how many will be interested in streaming games onto a pc or tv? I would suggest nowhere near enough to make any financial difference.

If the league starts, money will be spent in shed loads with insufficient income generated. In my book, we’re cooking a recipe for disaster, as much as I’d like to see the team play live. Clubs in north and south will go to the wall if they’re forced to start by bigger ex league clubs in the national and a few of us in the national may go that way too..

Another poster with loads to say but little in the way of ideas.
Not Happy

Postby worruz » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:02 pm

Not Happy wrote:
Tonyd wrote:Why is watching our games in a car on a small screen or iPad outside the ground remotely exciting? Given attendances that could have been 1000+, how many do you think would be attracted to this idea on a miserable Saturday and Tuesday in winter to balance that loss? For that matter, how many will be interested in streaming games onto a pc or tv? I would suggest nowhere near enough to make any financial difference.

Another poster with loads to say but little in the way of ideas.

I have to agree with him though. Sitting in my car watching Wealdstone on a screen, while they play approx 60 yards away on the other side of a wall is not my idea of fun.

And no, I don't have any alternatives.
'I only want to help you Ro-land'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby spire » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:41 pm

I have a mate who lives in Cornwall Road.
If I can get into his bubble I can watch the home games from the apple tree in his back garden!!
spire

Postby The Guvnor » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:08 pm

Not Happy wrote:Another poster with loads to say but little in the way of ideas.

I wasn't aware you needed to be a budding Satchi and Satchi creative to post on this forum.

Maybe we should have a designated section where fans can demonstrate their artistic flair.

This weeks challenge is to build a football stadium out of Cardboard boxes, fairy liquid bottles and a pot of glue. Oh wait a minute, we already have !
The Guvnor

Postby StoneBroke » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:42 pm

Responding to Guvnors post a page or so back, I have to agree with him for a change, in that a null and void season seems the most appealing option as a supporter. Football is all about the match day experience/ atmosphere etc. Watching from an armchair, car in a field or anything other than being in the ground is not the least bit appealing, and probably just as dull as watching England on the TV. Further, on the basis that our support is and would have been the twelfth man this season I fear that a government funds season behind closed doors will result in our demotion. I would rather wait a year to enjoy a season in the National league , I think.
StoneBroke

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum