Game off!!!

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Game off!!!

Postby Royal Blue » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:40 pm

See KM's pic - https://twitter.com/Wealdstone_Kit/stat ... 6835477506

Given Bananas answer - what sticking plasters do we have then? Are there not machines that can drain this off? Is that way too simplistic?
Royal Blue

Postby adamgloor » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:48 pm

Probably Barnet wish they’d postponed now too.
adamgloor

Postby The Guvnor » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:03 pm

Very good overview by " Bananas" and unless I've read it wrong most of his suggestions won't cost the earth.

Now just imagine spectators were allowed today, we could have been looking at anything between 15-20k as a pay day and we'd have lost that and we all know rearranged midweek games possibly reduce that by about half.

How can we run the risk of losing that amount of money.

Of course the issue here is that if we don't do anything this same situation is going to arise again.

And thats before we start having to deal with the fall out from adverse PR, the impact on our club sponsors and of course fair weather fans thinking whats the point of supporting this club if every time it rains the game might be off.

I really don't think some of our fans get this, we are not playing the Dog and Duck in the local Harrow league, we are in the NL, I'll repeat that the NL and having games off because it rains is a massive no no. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if we get a visit from the NL telling us to up our game because you can bet they were not impressed.

Its all about presenting the club in a positive light and after today we are playing catch up.
The Guvnor

Postby worruz » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:06 pm

The Guvnor wrote:
Of course the issue here is that if we don't do anything this same situation is going to arise again.

You just know its going to pee down on the day when we're due to be on TV.

Can you imagine?

:shock:

Nightmare scenario.
'I only want to help you Ro-land'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby Bananas » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:24 pm

The Guvnor wrote:Very good overview by " Bananas" and unless I've read it wrong most of his suggestions won't cost the earth.

FYI:

Back when I investigated this in 2016, I spoke to Dom and requested that he worked out roughly how much money the club lost if a game was postponed on a Saturday and ended up being replayed on a midweek day instead.
Back then the figure was roughly £5000.
Therefore I budgeted on that figure thinking that if we only got one extra game played on a Saturday instead of midweek then the works would effectively pay for themselves. Anything beyond that (albeit expected) would be a bonus.
I would imagine now the losses would be higher, but the cost of doing the same work wouldn't have risen proportionately.
Considering it's unlikely that there will be any spectators in the ground for the foreseeable future, there's no reason why we couldn't do it during the season instead of waiting until the close season (and then forgetting about it like we do every year).
Just because you come from Wealdstone it doesn't mean you are a horrible b*stard - it's just considerably more likely that you are.
Bananas

Postby 61663 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:33 pm

I would imagine quite a few locals in a certain Kent town are expressing more than a small degree of schadenfreude on finding out the reason for today’s match postponement ....
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an Ill opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”

Postby West End Stone » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:02 pm

Why no statement from the board?? Why do they only talk to us when they want something? Sorry but I was looking forward to my club playing today!!! Other clubs moved hell and earth to get their games on. Are we just a drinkers club with a team attached????!!!!! Don't get me wrong I love a beer as much as anyone in fact a few too many in the past but we're supposed to be a proper club now.
West End Stone

Postby charlie » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:28 pm

No we are a Tinpot club and we love that tag.. Every goal/every point/every tackle. A tinpot club sticking it up the proper clubs.

Besides let s celebrate Barnet are bottom and we are 15th in the league.

Footnote.. Watching Kings Lynn/Yeovil on BT sport. Who was one of the photographers.? Our supporters coach supremo/and official snapper.. Palmer the Charmer.
charlie

Postby byronpark » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:39 pm

If you bother to look around you will find that a number of other local clubs albeit in lower leagues had their games postponed, ie Oxhey Jets where games are very rarely called off for a waterlogged pitch.
the rain over night was torrential after heavy rain all day Friday, there wasn't enough time for that amount of rain to drain away. Unfortunately we don't own the ground so are limited to what we are allowed to do.
Work has been done over the summer with a new drainage ditch, but how much money do want to spend on a perfect pitch against having a playing squad that can compete.? There will always be a problem because the
whole site slopes down to dead fox corner and the original drains laid are not good enough. Having said that our pitch is in far better state than when we originally moved into the Vale.
byronpark

Postby Bananas » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:37 pm

byronpark wrote:If you bother to look around you will find that a number of other local clubs albeit in lower leagues had their games postponed, ie Oxhey Jets where games are very rarely called off for a waterlogged pitch.
the rain over night was torrential after heavy rain all day Friday, there wasn't enough time for that amount of rain to drain away. Unfortunately we don't own the ground so are limited to what we are allowed to do.
Work has been done over the summer with a new drainage ditch, but how much money do want to spend on a perfect pitch against having a playing squad that can compete.? There will always be a problem because the
whole site slopes down to dead fox corner and the original drains laid are not good enough. Having said that our pitch is in far better state than when we originally moved into the Vale.

I'll say it again in case some of you at the back can't hear properly...

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE EXISTING DRAINAGE AT GROSVENOR VALE AND PUTTING MORE IN WILL MAKE ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE TO THE PITCH AND FLOODING IN DFC.

I swear, sooner or later the message will start to sink in.
Just because you come from Wealdstone it doesn't mean you are a horrible b*stard - it's just considerably more likely that you are.
Bananas

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum