Dagenham and R 1 Stones 0

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Dagenham and R 1 Stones 0

Postby The Guvnor » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:04 am

Didn't see the game yesterday but from watching us at Yeovil which is the first time we've been seen at this level its obvious that opposition managers will set up to press us deep in our half. We are simply not good enough to play out and neither are most teams at this level which is why teams don't play that way. We are literally just playing at it and we don't have an out ball because playing one up front who is not a target man is just handing the ball to your opponent. In effect if we don't change we will become easy to play against and every manager in the NL would have seen that yesterday. I watched 30 minutes of Yeovil v Wrexham yesterday, and before I go any further let me say right now Yeovil are pretty average and we missed a great opportunity the other night. Wrexham I would say are a good bench mark for this division. Big strong, well organised and very good at set pieces. Not for them fannying around at the back, it goes straight up to two big physical front men who bully the centre halves, winning flick ons, free kicks and generally causing chaos. They are constantly pushing the opposition back just with physicality and its just percentages, nothing fancy. The way we play is high risk and as I alluded to the other day if you have the technical qualities of Barcelona or Bayern Munich then do it but if you don't..........

Looking back at the likes of Watford and Wimbledon in the past they became very successful by playing percentages and also taking advantage of teams like us who are a bit naive in how we play. I like the DB philosophy of playing with pace and overloading in the wide areas and from memory both Watford and Wimbledon were very good at winning the ball high up the pitch and getting it wide and in early. But gaining possession high up the pitch is key so lets not become the divisions soft touch.
The Guvnor

Postby attic » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:09 am

It's more than probable that we may have to dump plan A in some of these games and add another dimension to our play from the off. We all like to watch decent football but when even England get caught out playing from the back it's no surprise that it's a dangerous ploy against savvy teams.

Tempted to agree with what was posted earlier, RLF and Parish could work well together if we're going to get the ball up early.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Royal Blue » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:17 am

attic wrote:It's more than probable that we may have to dump plan A in some of these games and add another dimension to our play from the off. We all like to watch decent football but when even England get caught out playing from the back it's no surprise that it's a dangerous ploy against savvy teams.

Plan A - not necessarily from the off but when we can see it is clearly not working? Ok, DB had a chance to talk to the players when Isted went down for treatment after about 25-30 mins. We go again. But, by half-time our ballers like Benyu were having little impact in creating chances. Credit to D & R if you like. By 60 mins or so their keeper hadn't been tested at all - very un-Wealdstone like and the evidence is overwhelming. We seem to procrastinate on subs another min or two and then the mistake they had been waiting for 1-0. Now conceding 1 goal away from home is not the end of the world perhaps but we weren't creating ourselves and that appeared to be a tactics/personnel thing. D & R very effective in shutting us down - ruthlessly so, full-time club so. Our often sloppy passing didn't help and that was partly down to not adjusting the to the LONG grass and an unwatered pitch. No disaster and we can learn from this.

Strange game and fine margins..

All my best,

Wealdstone Scum - https://twitter.com/Daggers_HQ/status/1 ... 2274917376
Royal Blue

Postby TommyCockles » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:12 pm

If anyone missed the game or has a burning desire to watch it again feel free to download the highlights of the match from my OneDrive:-

https://1drv.ms/u/s!At4Ko0S5-EKbgdZWFBGZUuSQltDOBw?e=cUbLNn

It's a fairly sizeable download at 3.44GB and should play in most media players on your computer or on your Smart TV via a USB pen drive. Plays fine in VLC media player and on my Samsung Q90T TV. Includes ad breaks so have the fast forward button to hand.

Enjoy or not...... as the case may be.

UTS
TommyCockles

Previous

Return to stonesnet forum