Stones 2 Stockport 5

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Stones 2 Stockport 5

Postby attic » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:08 am

Maidenhead have provided the template on how to (just about) keep your head above the water when you are a small fish in a big pond with a relatively low budget. No doubt we are gonna try and do it in our own way. Will be interesting to see how we perform against the mid to lower mid teams. No doubt quite a few will be the physical spoilers that will simply try to outmuscle and suffocate.

Some are here just to enjoy the ride regardless. Others, like myself are desperate to stay in this division.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Royal Blue » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:18 am

Interesting that some see a lot of 'negative thoughts'. I've just read the 29 posts and a can count 2-3 at most and even those have reasoning (just or otherwise).

The Stones did fantastically well to get to 2-1. Most are in agreement that the game turned on the decision to take RLF off and replace him with Cawley at the back. We literally withdrew and invited them on. I noticed at one point that when we did get possession of the ball, we did not have a single player in their half. With 3-4 mins to go perhaps but with 20 to go against Stockport? It's fair to be deeply disappointed with that decision and the four goals we then conceded. WE gave ourselves no chance of victory or a draw.

Cawley didn't get much of a look in during pre-season and when he did, he didn't shine AND our pre-season was very poor. We self-destructed.

So what we have learnt is we need either Stevens back fit or a new CB (or both). We also need a big target man as competition for RLF or when he is injured. Those two things are the bare minimum and are urgently required - let us not kid ourselves that all will be ok without new blood in those positions.

Yes, let's stay in this division.
Royal Blue

Postby worruz » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:02 pm

attic wrote: Others, like myself are desperate to stay in this division.

I'd have thought everyone is desperate that we stay in this division, mainly in the hope that maybe things are back to some level of 'normality' next season and we can go to home games, and God forbid, away games as well.

Watching us play in the National League/Conference for the first time in 32 years via a stuttering screen is not too much fun to be honest.
'I only want to help you Ro-land'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby attic » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:20 pm

What happened to that other centre half......Gaddafi or whatever he was called????? Apparently ex league club experience?????
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby The Guvnor » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:54 pm

After the pre season we had we were always going to struggle at the start and now its really down to how quickly we can get up to speed.

I'm sure there were valid reasons, probably finance but the retained list and recruitment left a lot to be desired and this was shown in our performances against Connie South clubs where we were 2nd best week after week.

Highly unlikely we'll be able to beat the likes of Stockport on the back of all that. DB has to be ruthless now in deciding who is up to the task and indeed how best to play our way out of it. My own view is we cant afford the quality thats needed to play how he'll like to play at this level. So we need to become hard to beat and that means a more attritional percentage based style. There were signs of that last night, we were far more direct and I thought Ross did well, and it showed how well when he went off because there was nothing after that.

There was still a bit of tippy tappy stuff in our last third but generally we got the ball forward a lot quicker. I still believe a central midfield trio of Dyer, Benyu and Phillips will be more than good enough so we are not a million miles away but we need a settled side and and we need to get fit ASAP. Fitness definitely came into it last night, its stating the obvious but you cant compete with full time outfits when you are a half fit part time outfit. Last night reminded me of the Woking play off game when you could see at 75 minutes the tank was empty.

We badly need a win to give us some belief and confidence because the longer you go without one life becomes very hard.

Far too early to throw the towel in, football can change very quickly but we need to make changes to our squad fairly urgently. I can see some of our arrivals this Summer already heading for the exit, no point in delaying the inevitable and replaced with better.
The Guvnor

Postby Royal Blue » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:18 pm

The statement from the club explains why some people got a good streaming service at the expense of others. No refunds offered and hopefully non sought in this instance. One more chance. One. Yes, it was that bad in Northants.
Royal Blue

Postby worruz » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:00 pm

Lanarkian wrote:playing five of the top clubs in our first five matches. .

I've seen this alluded to in varying degrees a few times both on here and on other social media. I don't know much about this division. Is it true?

I get it with Stockport, even though we were leading until the final quarter of the game, but with Yeovil and Dagenham I'm not certain, only going by what I saw with my own eyes.

Both games were very close and we could conceivably have won the first and drawn the second.

Are they two of the potential leaders in this division? Too early to tell I suppose.

worruz

Postby Stoney Ground » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:54 pm

worruz wrote:
Lanarkian wrote:playing five of the top clubs in our first five matches. .

I've seen this alluded to in varying degrees a few times both on here and on other social media. I don't know much about this division. Is it true?

I get it with Stockport, even though we were leading until the final quarter of the game, but with Yeovil and Dagenham I'm not certain, only going by what I saw with my own eyes.

Both games were very close and we could conceivably have won the first and drawn the second.

Are they two of the potential leaders in this division? Too early to tell I suppose.

Stockport were 4/1 and the others were 12/1 to win the league at the start of the season
Stoney Ground

Postby worruz » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:01 pm

With some of the rumours flying about at the moment about how the season will (or won't) pan out we may not be worrying about the teams performance soon.

Hope it's all nonsense.

worruz

Postby The Guvnor » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:16 pm

worruz wrote:With some of the rumours flying about at the moment about how the season will (or won't) pan out we may not be worrying about the teams performance soon.

This season has null and void written all over it.

Clubs like Stockport will be gutted if it happens whilst we'll be laughing our nuts off.
The Guvnor

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum