Stones 4 - Wrexham 3

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Stones 4 - Wrexham 3

Postby warren » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:35 am

an enjoyable game with a much needed win.will be a nice confidence boost going into the midweek game and cup next Saturday

nice run for the first goal
2nd goal a great strike

we do however need to solve the defending. the issue at this level we cant play attacking Fb's who basically are wingers.we might need to play them as wingers and get at least a RB in as well as a CB.

Great to see dyer back but some how need to fit green into this team.

my concern is we isolate the striker and Ross is a great outlet for that but need to get more help to him. i guess its all a balancing a balancing act.

as i said early on we cant accommodate benyu for much longer yes he has a few nice touches but he seems scared of both boxes

as for full time wrexham i though they were poor

overall lots of good stuff and have played some good teams
warren

Postby charlie » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:47 am

Must say Warren ,both our full backs are Key to our team getting goals.

(A la Spurs.. with Walker/Rose bombing forward in their finest times).

Must say Benyu is a first name on team sheet if fit. Benyu/Wakefield/Dyer... proving to be three great late additions to the squad.

Noticed a new potential player in the pics at the end game huddle.... Who is He ?
charlie

Postby warren » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:08 am

charlie wrote:Must say Warren ,both our full backs are Key to our team getting goals.

(A la Spurs.. with Walker/Rose bombing forward in their finest times).

Must say Benyu is a first name on team sheet if fit. Benyu/Wakefield/Dyer... proving to be three great late additions to the squad.

Noticed a new potential player in the pics at the end game huddle.... Who is He ?

they are wingers and should be played in that position. if we had a younger arnold ie a player who can attack as well as defend we will be ok.

i personally wouldnt have benyu or wakefield anywhere near this team if we are as expected in the lower half. people see the games differently and i might see other things to go against what i have said if i was at the games both these players are candidates to be take off most games. this is why football is great people see different things as i have said i hope to be proven wrong
warren

Postby Royal Blue » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:53 am

Benyu's passing is sublime - I guess that is what he is here for - not the boxes?

Everyone rightly chuffed by yesterday's result but we ALL know we can't carry on conceding a goal every 30 minutes in this division. It's not the same division we left 32 years ago in any event - it's a higher one.

And the other teams' regard for us is evident. 'Beaten by Wealdstone - sack the manager! (Wrexham)', 'fail to beat Wealdstone - sack the manager! (forthcoming Chesterfield game).

We are not worthy!

We are but must give Harry a bit more cover hereon-in.

UTS
Royal Blue

Postby BornundertheElmslie » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:56 am

Wonderful result, achieved not because Wrexham were poor but because we were the better side. Clearly underestimated by the Wrexham manager who said in his post match interview "I didn't see that coming", well if he'd done his research he would have seen we can hurt teams at this level. The defensive errors are a concern particularly because they are being punished by better sides, but I thought our attacking play was good and we looked dangerous every time we went forward. I also thought Benyu had his best game for us so far - once he's match fit he's going to be a weapon in this division.

It's been fascinating to see how the former league clubs set themselves up and what they have in their ranks, but apart from Stockport it's not been very impressive for the money they are spending. You don't need a £900k a year wage bill to be competitive in this league, in the main all it will get you is expensive players not quite good enough for the EFL with egos to match their wage packet. We'll have to get used to the disparaging nonsense about our club (tinpot), players (shit, particularly every time we win) and our wage bill (we're lying about it being small apparently). And the best way to do that is keep winning games and being disruptive. Bring on Chesterfield!
BornundertheElmslie

Postby The Guvnor » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:05 am

Now that the euphoria has died down a bit we need to look ahead as to where we go from here. Clearly our defending is disorganised at best, not very effective and lacks leadership. DB will know that cant continue otherwise we'll be down by Christmas so change in personnel as well as mentality is required. I felt coming up that Stevens and Okimo wouldn't cut it at this level as a partnership, maybe one but not both. I felt there were times last year when we lost headers at big moments which will obviously be even more exposed at this level and I don't see that leadership/organisation which you have to have at the back. We need that dominant personality, not just organise but to tell the likes of Efete that he's not actually a forward and that when you are 4-2 up with 15 minutes to go against a full time side keeping your shape and discipline is whats needed. Both full backs seem to work a lot harder at getting forward than they do at stopping crosses coming in and that cant be right. Okimo will be far more suited to left back at this level in my opinion. Cawley came in and did ok, he's physically more the type you need in the NL but whether he's good enough week in week out is questionable. We will survive by being hard to beat not by playing Roy of the Rovers fantasy football. Clean sheets, clean sheets and even more clean sheets.
The Guvnor

Postby charlie » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:46 am

You can argue Guvnor you are not wrong,..

but unless you wish to donate £1 million from your forthcoming Lottery win... It is not going to change any time soon.

Apart from management tweaking game to game at certain times during matches.

Yes Robin Wainwright spoke of not letting crosses coming in from defence positions. if only football was that easy!

Clean Sheets ? Is that our management style of play ?
charlie

Postby Royal Blue » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:24 pm

charlie wrote:You can argue Guvnor you are not wrong,..

but unless you wish to donate £1 million from your forthcoming Lottery win... It is not going to change any time soon.

Apart from management tweaking game to game at certain times during matches.

Yes Robin Wainwright spoke of not letting crosses coming in from defence positions. if only football was that easy!

Clean Sheets ? Is that our management style of play ?

Well, if Phillips is injured and there's no money or a loan move - Cawley must surely have his chance. DB signed him as cover/replacement after all.
Royal Blue

Postby worruz » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:42 pm

Royal Blue wrote:
Well, if Phillips is injured and there's no money or a loan move - Cawley must surely have his chance. DB signed him as cover/replacement after all.

Yes, exactly, he has to be given a chance.

I recall Alex Dyer and Billy Clifford getting stick from some quarters before they'd played even 5 games for us.
'I only want to help you Ro-land'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby worruz » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:49 pm

Ok......Incoming......

I've seen a lot on here, but especially on twitter and facebook, from Wealdstone fans bemoaning us being labelled 'tinpot' or 'small' by other clubs fans.

Two things here. Personally I don't care what other clubs fans think about us, derogatory or otherwise, its of no interest. I do find our fans going on about it more tedious than the extremely few who look down on us to be honest. A few people on Wrexham or whoever's forum or NL faebook page don't represent their whole support, anymore than the small number of people who post on here represent all Wealdstone's support. :?

Secondly, I recall our fanbase not being particularly gracious about other clubs when we were relegated in 88 and played Southern league football in 88-89 onwards and also in the mid 90s when we were down in Div3 of the Ryman.

If there had been forums or twitter etc then I imagine a lot of the stuff written would have been a lot worse than what's been written about us recently :lol:
Last edited by worruz on Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'I only want to help you Ro-land'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum