Canvey

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Canvey

Postby RichardMellor » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:29 pm

I'll echo what's been written above. A fantastic win - a gritty, determined performance that should do wonders for the team spirit - and certainly brought the crowd into it as well. We deserved it.

Fitzgerald had to go, sadly, but we didn't let that get us down and I think we were the better side in the first half. Second half was more even but plenty of stout defending, good goalkeeping and hard work saw us through.

I think everyone had a good game - all working their socks off, but I'd give my Man of the Match to Chris O'Leary who never let his head drop, kept working hard, even if the ref was giving him nothing.

All a bit feisty at the end and not the most pleasant scenes but I will say, from what I saw, the Canvey players and one particular fan were stepping way over the mark. Not a clever move at the 'home' end when Stones fans were on a high.

The fan who seemed to spark it all off got bundled to the ground and he should count himself lucky he wasn't torn apart. Some people split it up and Wealdstone fans, in my opinion, were as restrained as they could be in the face of such silly and foolhardy provocation.
RichardMellor

Postby Blue & White Army » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:24 pm

A Canvey point of view. Great result today.

Matt H

Forum Watchdog

Group:
Administrators Posts:
4,155 Joined:
08-September 01 Location: Below Sea Level Supports: Canvey Island Foes: Billericay Town, Grays Ath, AFC Hornchurch, Southend Utd Fav. Player(s): Andrew West, Chris Moore, Kevin Dobinson, Leon Gordon, Frank Everett, Gabriel Fanibuyan, James Rowe, James Russell, Ben Patten... Fav. Sport(s): Football Posted An hour ago

In the end I think Wealdstone deserved the victory in the end. Their 'Keeper pulled off some outstanding saves during the second half. Canvey were playing against 10 men for 83 minutes, but conceded right on half-time from a lovely free-kick.

Second half, Canvey threw everything forward but couldn't find a equaliser. With about ten minutes to go Jay Curran was sent off for violent conduct after lashing out. In an immature moment on his part, Curran squirted his water bottle into the crowd, inciting them enough for it all to kick off at full-time between fans and players alike.

Roll on Margate and hopefully James Rowe will get back in the team.

Today was so disappointing.
Blue & White Army

Postby cardew the cad » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:54 pm

a great battling win.

Of course , if the league stopped today - the play off would be Wealdstone v Canvey. Be interesting to see how we'd do against them with 11.
cardew the cad

Postby bankzzy » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:42 pm

Great result against a very average Canvey side. Stupid challenge that resulted in the sending off (which was the correct decision) so early on but well done to the lads in battling on. Under the cosh in the 2nd half but equally had enough of our own chances to increase the lead. Missed all the reported stupidity at the end and quite frankly there is no need for this alleged kind of behaviour and those involved should be ashamed...

Looking foward to the cup game now, roll on Saturday!
bankzzy

Postby attic » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:33 pm

Blue & White Army wrote:A Canvey point of view. Great result today.

Matt H

Forum Watchdog

Group:
Administrators Posts:
4,155 Joined:

Second half, Canvey threw everything forward but couldn't find a equaliser. With about ten minutes to go Jay Curran was sent off for violent conduct after lashing out. In an immature moment on his part, Curran squirted his water bottle into the crowd, inciting them enough for it all to kick off at full-time between fans and players alike.

Today was so disappointing.

Fair play to him for an honest run down of the prelude to the main event. Must say Wealdstone fans can come out with a lot of credit as in the main they tried to stop the actions of a few mouthy idiots from Canvey turning into real pasting.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby attic » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:08 am

Jetlagged and wide awake at almost 4am. Never mind. Can reflect on what was a magnificent win today. Play off contenders? you bet.

Thomas 9/10 My player of the year so far. A tower of strength today and the difference between the 2 sides. One fantastic save where positioning was perfect.

McKoy 7/10 Pushed into centre half early on and did very well. Most improved player of the year.

Chappell 8/10 Great free kick and currently on song. Tireless.

Massey 8/10 Mr dependable as ever. We are lucky to have him

Fitzgerald 4/10 Got the wrong side of his man which resulted in his early sending off. Hope he learns from this.

Oleary 8/10 Crunching tackles in midfield. Used the ball well too.

Ashe 7/10 Getting back to form and fitness. Vital he gets back to his best.

Forbes 8/10 One of his best games so far. Really stretched their back line with his running.

Lafette 6/10 Needed to impress but a hard game to judge him in. Jury still out.

Ngoyi 7/10 No goal today, but did everything else right. Chased and chased.

Ebay 8/10 Probably his best game for the club so far. Good range of passing.

Subs:

During 6/10 Started awfuly and looked an accident waiting to happen. But recovered to make some good tackles in the end.

Ellebeck 7/10 Nice little cameo role. Hard working and looks a good footballer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Whatmough » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:57 am

Great result yesterday, I would have taken a draw before the game and even at half time but the lads showed some excellent commitment and work ethic. Canvey started the game brighter and were hustling well which must have got to Fitzgerald as one second he was in control and then the next he was three yards off his man and put in a tackle that connected with the player and was rightly sent off. Canvey went to make the most their man advantage but a combination of good defending and not fantastic finishing kept us level until Chappell hit a sweet intentioanslly flighted wind assisted free kick to take us in 1 up.

Second half we had a change around taking off Lafette and bringing on During. Canvey again started quicker and as we attempted to soak up the pressure I thought it was going to be a long 45 minutes! We settled down after 60 and started to play some football on the attack. Honours even in the second half and got a little bitter when one of their players kicked out (at Forbes?), and was again rightly sent off.

The referee got the major decisions right and I was pleased to see that his assistants were allowed flag and sometimes overule the ref. They worked very well as a team and I hope we see them again. I thought Canvey played well and reminded me of us at the start of last season. Their two centre backs seemed to know what they were doing and they worked hard but they either have some injuries to their forward line or they need another striker.

Well done THE STONES you wore the shirts with pride! Thomas was my man of the match also with some great saves especially in the second half with the wind holding the ball up.
Whatmough

Postby stevo999 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:20 am

I didnt go to the match,top result though,but what happened with the Canvey players after?.
stevo999

Postby RichardMellor » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:02 pm

Can't argue with Attic's ratings - spot on. And I agree that Ebay put in his best performance. Thomas wins the popular vote for MoM and that's fair do's.

I woke up this morning had a long look at the league table and loved it. Yesterday's win was so satisfying because at no point did the lads let their heads drop. A real testament of the team spirit. Further evidence of that was when Chris O'Leary turned up at the Vale before the game yesterday. Shirt and tie on, he wandered into the ground. Only to be greeted by the rest of the team who were all wearing tracksuits. Priceless look on O'Leary's face.

Ross Lafayette said to me O'Leary had been stitched up "That's what happens when you miss training".
RichardMellor

Postby attic » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:08 pm

stevo999 wrote:I didnt go to the match,top result though,but what happened with the Canvey players after?.

Handbags really.
attic

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum