From the Chair

For all things Wealdstone FC

From the Chair

Postby megaphone » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:05 am

Here is the chairman's latest blog. I have highlighted a section and have left my thoughts below:

A great win…tinged

3 October 2009 in First team, Support | Leave a comment

We should be delighted tonight. A great performance against a tough Canvey side, with 10 men for most of the game. Another successful display of grit, determination and the great spirit that many of our opponents are commending us about. We’re on a great run, 2nd in the table and long may it continue.

But, and it is a big but, the incident at the end of the game left a bitter taste for many of us.

I am not going to blame anyone, from Canvey or Wealdstone. The simple fact is it was almost impossible to say who was to blame for what happened. The actions of some of their players was unfortunate and those of one of their supporters unacceptable but there was clear provocation from some of our fans too. One individual in particular has been pointed out but we do not know his name. What is most depressing is that he was apparently screaming obscenities at one of their players as the game finished, even though there was a child standing with him.

The unsavoury fracas that followed, including apparently an 8 year old boy being pushed over and hurt in the melee, is simply unacceptable.

Let’s be clear about this. Anyone who thinks those sort of incidents have a place at our club are wrong. Whoever is to blame it takes two sides to make these things happen. And the big danger is that all we are trying to build up with local residents and the local community will fail.

When it had all finished there is no doubt it tarnished what otherwise would have been a celebration of a great win.

I do want to thank those in the crowd who tried to quiet things down – and I include several of our fans in that – but people need to be in no doubt we are serious about stopping this type of thing happening in the future. We will now be looking into getting a movable covered tunnel – this could be expensive and will take money away from where we want to spend it but what option do we have?

We have great plans and have already achieved much so lets not risk throwing it away. Now let’s get back to the football and the FA Cup next week.

First of all I agree with most of what he has written, it is a piece written from the heart and I think Howard has done exceptionally well since he has taken over. What I have a slight problem with is that he cannot fathom who was to blame for what occured. As Lloyd Grossman would say, let's look at the facts:

Did the Wealdstone fans enter the playing area? No

Did the Canvey players burst into the crowd? Yes

Did the Wealdstone fans go round to the Canvey end and mouth off or cause trouble there? No

Did one Canvey fan in particular mouth off and act aggressively at our end at the final whistle? Yes

Did their player who got sent off spray water at the fans in the Collins stand? Yes

Did their No 4 firstly complain to Wob's about something and nothing and then spit at our fans, a section that included children and old men? Yes

Is it normal for the Wealdstone fans to congregate at the tunnel after a home win to cheer the boys off? Yes

Were we a bit ott in our abuse as the Canvey players left the pitch? Possibly, but after a hard fought win with ten players in a top of the table clash tensions were running fairly high.

Should our fans have ignored the one mouthy fan at the end? Again in a perfect world yes, but easier said than done I would say.

Did the Canvey players make matters worse with their actions? Yes

So there you have it. I am not saying our fans were completely blameless as clearly things happened that shouldn't have, but as to who was to blame the facts speak for themselves. Please note this is NOT a criticism of our chairman, these are just my thoughts on the matter and I welcome anyones views whether they agree or disagree.
megaphone

Re: From the Chair

Postby attic » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:35 am

To be fair, Howard has little choice but to condemn what happened. He has to be seen to be saying the right things in public whether he agrees with what he's writing or not.

As far as I'm concerned, what happened on Saturday was handbags and looked far worse than it was. Personally on the Worby behaviour-ometer I'd give it a 4 out of 10. The fact that the usual holier than thou brigade have not really commented on Saturdays events proves the point.

Maybe putting a proper covered tunnel in is a good idea, as this area was always going to be a flashpoint for verbals and argy bargy.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Return to stonesnet forum