URCHINS STONES LATEST

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: URCHINS STONES LATEST

Postby WhizzyBloke » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:52 pm

Thomas was in goal and some decent saves combined with a fantastic last ditch tackle by Marv in the second half ensured we got a clean sheet. Hornchurch had a rake of chances that they either missed or were saved. Not much to offer from us going forward where for long periods of both halves the ball spent a lot of time in the air which seemed to suit Hornchurch. Spendlove should have done better when he skipped through the defence but fell over after a trying to avoid a challenge from the last defender and ended up being booked for diving. Forbes came close with a far post header back across goal but that's as good as it got. Just thankful that it wasn't as cold in the open running track stadium as it threatened to be as there was very little on the pitch to warm us up.

Hopefully with the pressure of a winning streak abated, we can get past Aylesbury on Saturday.

Up the Stones.
WhizzyBloke

Postby Blue & White Army » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:01 pm

Woeful match tonight, Saturday we never got out of 2nd gear, tonight we never got out of 1st gear!
Spendlove had our best (only) chance of the game when he flicked the ball over the defenders leg and instead of having the belief that he could score he decided to dive and get himself booked.

Plus points
We never lost
No serious injuries although Locke was limping when he came off, but he always seems to be limping when he comes off.
Healthy Stones contingent of about 80-100 (near enough half the crowd)
Nice Cheeseburger & pint
Oh and yes most importantly, I backed the draw at 5/2

Negatives
Ref & Lino were shocking
Sh*t journey

Onto Saturday now and I’m sure with Ashe, Greg and Charlie starting we will see a better performance.

PS: RUSPA DID NOT LEAD THE SINGING AS HE HAD PROMISED
Blue & White Army

Postby attic » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:04 pm

Tonyd wrote:Strange goings on i hear.. Ashe rested, as is Fitzgerald, Ngoyi and MP3. Gray and Ross up front. Why choose to play this game and then rest half the team!?

Apparently, we have been dreadful in the first half, nothing upfront and defence being over-worked is what i hear..

Fitzgerald possibly dropped in place of Locke, who in my opinion, is a better player.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby attic » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:18 pm

Oddly enough, I didnt think tonight was as bad as some people are making out. Its strange how when we have been appalling in the past, some supporters have been full of excuses. Yet when we are unspectacular yet workmanlike, theres plenty of moaning and groaning from the terraces as could be heard tonight.

True, we only had a couple of good periods, a 10 minute burst before half time, and a 10 minute burst midway through the 2nd half. But we competed, got stuck in, plus with the massive game looming on Saturday, were clearly struggling to focus on tonight. As were most of the fans.

Some of the passing was poor, and Gray + Layfette just didnt work out. This was Layfette's chance to shine, but apart from a short period in the first half, was pretty poor before he was taken off.

All in all, content with a point.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby russpa » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:18 pm

ALAN MASSEY was awesome tonight a total rock at the back star performance can not praise highly enough we might have been on the losing side without him...was a good turn out from stones fans seemed to almost out number the home contingent...
russpa

Postby Stone A Crow » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:35 am

3 pluses from last night
1 Seeing Sean Thomas in between the 'sticks'. really thought he was badly hurt after that tackle late on in Saturday's game Thankfully I was wrong.
2.NO injuries
3.Coming away without a defeat

WELL DONE
Keep it up for Saturday
Stone A Crow

Postby cardew the cad » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:02 am

Sean was really wincing when kicking in the first half. Threw the ball out a lot.

Terrible pitch last night. Saturday's will be similar I hear.
cardew the cad

Postby Operation Wealdstone » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:17 am

Well we did not get beat and that's what counts.......Good turn out last night from the stones fans.....Roll on sat....
Operation Wealdstone

Postby fiftyfive » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:58 pm

Yes i thought we got a good point tonight, it was backs to the wall at times but we dealt with it. last season we may well have folded under pressure. We look a much better outfit nowadays, and 2nd in the league and still in both cups says it all . great support as well ,as the urchins site mentions.
fiftyfive

Postby Wobs » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:51 pm

attic wrote:Oddly enough, I didnt think tonight was as bad as some people are making out. Its strange how when we have been appalling in the past, some supporters have been full of excuses. Yet when we are unspectacular yet workmanlike, theres plenty of moaning and groaning from the terraces as could be heard tonight.

True, we only had a couple of good periods, a 10 minute burst before half time, and a 10 minute burst midway through the 2nd half. But we competed, got stuck in, plus with the massive game looming on Saturday, were clearly struggling to focus on tonight. As were most of the fans.

Some of the passing was poor, and Gray + Layfette just didnt work out. This was Layfette's chance to shine, but apart from a short period in the first half, was pretty poor before he was taken off.

All in all, content with a point.

Goodness me, a post from AM that I agree with! Hornchurch were better than their league position suggests - they have had a late start due to their ownership/financial problems which means that they are only just starting to get their act together. I expect to see them rise up the table as the season progresses.

On the basis that we did not play our strongest team then I have to say that coming away from Hornchurch with a point is a good result. It might not have been pretty but as most of us know, midweek away matches in Essex have been problematical for us over the years and I believe that it is a sign of a pretty decent squad that we were able to get a draw in a match of this type.

Big question - was Spendlove fouled for a penalty when the referee booked him for diving? I thought he was running flat out at pace in the box when he was clipped (but it all happened very quickly so I may be wrong).
Wobs

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum