Hitchen- James Gray

For all things Wealdstone FC

Hitchen- James Gray

Postby Essex Stones » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:10 am

Didnt manage to get to Hitchen on Saturday , from their website it seemed messy and we had no ideas. have we lost the momentum :( i had really high hopes for this year, or is this another case of dodgy web reporting by the opposition.

Can anyone who went re assure me that we can still be confident of a great year.

What was Jim upto , i presume thats him gone for 3 games
Essex Stones

Re: Hitchen- James Gray

Postby attic » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:09 am

Essex Stones wrote:Didnt manage to get to Hitchen on Saturday , from their website it seemed messy and we had no ideas. have we lost the momentum :( i had really high hopes for this year, or is this another case of dodgy web reporting by the opposition.

Can anyone who went re assure me that we can still be confident of a great year.

We were missing our best 2 midfielders, Ashe and Forbes. Plus had asbolutely nothing up front in the shape of Osbourne and a heavy legged Abbey.

Some decent defending and goalkeeping though.

I expect us to challenge for the play offs, anything else simply isnt good enough. No more of this happy clappy attitude about being glad to stay up etc......
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Stoney Ground » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:49 am

Basic problem on Saturday was that without Ashe & Forbes we didn't have any penetration from midfield, Chris had a solid game in the centre and was partnered by Rob Fitgerald who it has to be said was not at the races he put in a couple of stiff challanges early on and was spoken to by the ref 2 or 3 times. With Marvin playing at right midfield and Danny on the left we seemed well balanced but never really got in behind their defence.

The front two struggled though I thought worked hard, they didn't seem to be on the same wavelength and got little service. Jamie Osbournes movement is good but he looks half a yard slow, he is moving up a level so may need time to adjust.

At the back we looked pretty solid Luke is playing well and had a good game, am pleased as they bombed him out last season when we allowed him to be duel registered. Will push Sean hard this year and could well start the season in possesion. Kenny During started at right back and will not diplace Marvin from that slot , Massey was typical Massey did the job with a bit of class along side the robust Gray who has looked steadier in the games I have seen and Chapps was his usual hyperactive self.

We hit the frame work 4 or 5 times and it was hard to tell we were down to 10 men in the second half as we still created a few chances, the penalty was poor play by Rob Fitgerald he failed to deal with an aeriel ball, then let the player slip him and tackled from behind, to be fair he looked like he got the ball, but the ref was up close and Rob was not his favourite player so gave the pen.

With regard to the sending off, this was the second brawl that flared up, in the first Marvin brought down their ten in the middle of the park, with a pretty standard challange. Whilst on the floor the ten kicked out at Marvin who then responded by kicking back at the ten, queue first handbags. The ref only spoke to Marvin whilst the Ten was ushered away as if he was hard done by.

The second and worst incident was after Chris O'Leary put in a heavy challange, which Hitchin players reacted to and the ten who was not the biggest player, obviously picked the wrong person to front up to and ended up on the ground, the ref and linesman immediatly called over the home physio and then Jimmy was sent off and Chris booked.

He needs to learn fast that he can't do that as it could easily cost us points, looks like he will get a few games to think it over, Darren Locke has the chance to cement a place in the centre of defence in his abscence so it could be costly.
Stoney Ground

Postby Bananas » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:53 am

Probably our weakest pre-season performance so far from what I've seen, but we were missing key players so I wouldn't read too much into it, especially when you consider we still hit the woodwork 3 times and played 50 odd mins with 10 men.
IMHO, we need to be progressing from last year so it needs to be play-offs at least, and considering we have a stronger squad than last year and 2 less moneybags teams in the division that means its well within our grasp.
There are clubs that will throw money at getting promotion still (darts and carls for example) so asking to win the division might be a big ask but we know the quality we've got in the squad so I think it is well within the realms of possibility. Best thing about the pre-season press is that we aren't really being mentioned as contenders which suits us down to the ground as we can stealth it from the off and suprise a few clubs.
A good start is critical. We can't be lanquishing well down the table after 10 games if we want to be in the frame come the end of the season. Winning at home is vital, and taking a good few points on our travels where we can is the order of the day.
I'm genuinely excited about this year, and saturday cannot come along quick enough! Bring it on!!!! :P
Just because you come from Wealdstone it doesn't mean you are a horrible b*stard - it's just considerably more likely that you are.
Bananas

Postby Essex Stones » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:18 am

Thanks for the catch up, its strangley bizarre of talking of play offs and the Stones. As from supporting them as a boy ( nearly 25 years ago) this is not a regualr occurance. survival was the name of the game. im expecting a win on saturday and woudl be disappointed with less

Jimmy has to learn, he was asked to leave the leeds game because his head went. If we do get near the top, teams will come to wind us up and disrupte us. he cant react.

Locke coming in isnt a bad thing, he needs more time / experience to step up a gear. I prefer Thomas in goal but Woods seem to be given a chance. trust the boss!

is there an update of who we have signed and who squad is
Essex Stones

Postby Belmont Rattler » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:09 am

Essex Stones wrote: is there an update of who we have signed and who squad is

The following 20 players have signed 2009/10 Ryman League forms for us. In alphabetical order they are:- Ben Alexander, Ryan Ashe, Lee Chappell, Ken During, Rob Fitzgerald, Kieron Forbes, James Gray, Garry Jones, Ross Lafayette, Darren Locke, Alan Massey, Marvin McCoy, Charlie Mpi, Greg Ngoyi, Chris O'Leary, Jamie Osborne, Derek Quaye, Danny Spendlove, Sean Thomas and Luke Woods.
Belmont Rattler

Return to stonesnet forum