Wealdstone FA Cup Countdown

For all things Wealdstone FC

Wealdstone FA Cup Countdown

Postby attic » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:54 am

So who can't get this effing Aylesbury game out of their head!!

Time to roll back the years to what still remains my favourite FA Cup match involving Wealdstone.

September 1992. Wealdstone were a dead man walking. The Vicarage Road disaster had only taken a year to really take hold, the administrators had been called in, had done the maths, and had more or less come to the conclusion that the only way to 'save' the club was to suspend the playing side. However, there was a 'blitz spirit' building up amongst the supporters who were well aware of the clubs position and determined to show the administrators there was life in the old dog yet.

A run in the FA Cup was quite literally going to be the saviour of the club. Stones were drawn at home to Wivenhoe in the 2nd round qualifying, and played out a hard fought 0-0 draw. The midweek replay saw around 150 supporters travel to deepest Essex and raise the roof from the off. Wivenhoe squandered several chances early on but we held firm to go into the break level. The second half saw quite literally everyone packed under the covered end and get behind the players like never seen before. We were beginning to get on top but couldnt create and clear cut chances. The 'We'll never die' song was heard for the first time as the militant mood amongst the Stones reached fever pitch. 70 minutes or so, a corner was not cleared properly and there was 'Drax' Hippolyte to head the Stones in front and spark the first pitch invasion of the evening! Wivenhoe piled on the pressure, the ball hit the post, was cleared off the line as we hung on for dear life. However, a long clearance from a corner saw Hippolyte in acres of space on the left hand side. The keeper hesitated, and with the outside of his boot, Drax curled a superb chip from 40 odd yards out with the keeper rooted to the penalty spot. What followed was bedlam, supporters on the pitch, players on the terraces, you get the picture. Full time came soon afterwards and the celebrations went on for quite some time afterwards.

Stones played Dagenham in front of around 900 fans in the next Round and were stuffed 6-1.

However, it was that game at Wivenhoe which stands out as the moment where the supporters simply refused to let the club die.............
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Re: Wealdstone FA Cup Countdown

Postby Stones Throw » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:14 pm

We also featured on Sky News for the Dagenham game. I have a copy. They picked out John Shanahan as one to watch... whatever happened to him? I didnt go to the Wivenhoe away game but remember the Dagenham game with some bloody idiot behind us shouting "come on you Daggers". I loved that cup run. Please please God let us go on round further
Stones Throw

Postby Wobs » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:37 pm

attic wrote:So who can't get this effing Aylesbury game out of their head!!

Time to roll back the years to what still remains my favourite FA Cup match involving Wealdstone.

September 1992. Wealdstone were a dead man walking. The Vicarage Road disaster had only taken a year to really take hold, the administrators had been called in, had done the maths, and had more or less come to the conclusion that the only way to 'save' the club was to suspend the playing side. However, there was a 'blitz spirit' building up amongst the supporters who were well aware of the clubs position and determined to show the administrators there was life in the old dog yet.

A run in the FA Cup was quite literally going to be the saviour of the club. Stones were drawn at home to Wivenhoe in the 2nd round qualifying, and played out a hard fought 0-0 draw. The midweek replay saw around 150 supporters travel to deepest Essex and raise the roof from the off. Wivenhoe squandered several chances early on but we held firm to go into the break level. The second half saw quite literally everyone packed under the covered end and get behind the players like never seen before. We were beginning to get on top but couldnt create and clear cut chances. The 'We'll never die' song was heard for the first time as the militant mood amongst the Stones reached fever pitch. 70 minutes or so, a corner was not cleared properly and there was 'Drax' Hippolyte to head the Stones in front and spark the first pitch invasion of the evening! Wivenhoe piled on the pressure, the ball hit the post, was cleared off the line as we hung on for dear life. However, a long clearance from a corner saw Hippolyte in acres of space on the left hand side. The keeper hesitated, and with the outside of his boot, Drax curled a superb chip from 40 odd yards out with the keeper rooted to the penalty spot. What followed was bedlam, supporters on the pitch, players on the terraces, you get the picture. Full time came soon afterwards and the celebrations went on for quite some time afterwards.

Stones played Dagenham in front of around 900 fans in the next Round and were stuffed 6-1.

However, it was that game at Wivenhoe which stands out as the moment where the supporters simply refused to let the club die.............

It was a very good night out I recall. I think that Bracko and I hugged when we scored the 2nd ! !
Wobs

Postby attic » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:49 pm

If any game put us in our 'place' it was that one at home to Dagenham and Redbridge. Up until then we had managed to convince ourselves we were still up there amongst the best in Non League. But if anything hammered home our status as a mediocre level 3 outfit it was this game.

I seem to remember us living with them for the first half, pulling level and then missing a couple of chance to take the lead. The 2nd half saw them totally get on top, and to be frank, they could have had double figures.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby geordie stones fan » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:22 pm

I f**king can not wait for this game. I have not been back at Northolt for 7 weeks. I should be a cracking day out
geordie stones fan

Postby WfcGooner » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:03 pm

On the way to dropping my son off at school, we were talking - yet again - about Saturday's match. He said, "it's the most important game I've ever been to". I replied, "more important than the Champions League Final in Paris?" "Yes".

He has a point.

How long to wait now???? If I go to bed early.....
WfcGooner

Postby RichardMellor » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:21 pm

Nice story about Wivenhoe, Attic. Gives people like me a bit of perspective.

And it makes me glad the supporters did *not* let the club die.
RichardMellor

Postby adamgloor » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:46 pm

I t really was a "The club is going to peg it" time. I had the happy memory of being there at Wivenhoe too. We were beyond even gallow humour but the team put in a fantastic effort for us. Also, seeing the Stones following still giving a shit must have persuaded some waverers to stick through what was going to be a long sticky patch. You realised this was a support base that cared mostly for it's first XI above all else and that we were different from ALL other non league clubs. Cant believe it was so long ago, but brings a tear to the eye remembering Drax curling in the second goal. It was a fantastic finish and a fantastic feeling on the log journey home knowing that we had come good and there was so many Stones to see it. How many clubs would take so many fans away to A distant replay knowing their club was struggling so hopelessly? I suspect few.
Long live these memories!
and heres to more heroics Saturday!!!!
adamgloor

Postby attic » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:09 pm

Yep, I'm glad chaps like Richard Mellor appreciate what we've been through. It really was that close. Maybe had the administrator got out of bed on the wrong side during that period, the club could possibly have been dead in November 1992. I remember attending a supporters meeting around this period in the Wealdstone Social Club (nr the Civic Centre) with Ray Kemp standing up and saying "This is it boys and girls. This could be the end", before detailing every single scenario that could occur over the coming months. Most of which included the club folding.

Someone who needs a lot of credit for helping save the club was Ian Crossley, our commercial manager at the time. He managed to sell enough blue ribbon pledges to stave off the administrator. Plus the likes of the Walk to Fisher, which showed the supporters could actually raise money as well as provide the club with moral support.

We somehow survived, and aided by the £1m court case, got to where we are now. But only just.
attic

Postby bankzzy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Blimey, having a look back I was at those games, a long drive to Wivenhoe in a clapped out fiesta......and yes, am absolute thrashing by the Daggers...am I right in thinking the game was on a Sunday?
bankzzy

Next

Return to stonesnet forum