Our previous 2 4th Round Qualifying games

For all things Wealdstone FC

Our previous 2 4th Round Qualifying games

Postby attic » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:00 pm

October 2004 V Histon home L0-2

Stones totally dominated this game, but somehow came away with nothing. A combination of shocking finishing from Marvin Morgan, and some good keeping meant we walked away empty handed. The first half saw Stones tear into Histon. Their keeper saved brilliantly from a Jolly header, and then watched in amazement as Marvin put the rebound straight at him as he lay on his arse. Shortly afterwards, Marvin was through on goal, but he scuffed his shot straight at the keeper again. Several more half chances were missed and Stones went in 0-0. The second half started in the same manner, but the decisive moment came on about 50 minutes. Yet again, Marvin, who had generally been a good servant to the club missed a sitter in front of goal, they broke away, and youve guessed it, with their first real chance in front of goal made no mistake. Shortly after this, they grabbed a lucky second as a cross was deflected straight into the path of their striker. Stones didnt give up though, and there was still time for Alexander and Jolly to miss regulation chances. Had Jermaine broken back into the team only a few weeks earlier, I'm totally confident we'd have won.

October 2007 V Hampton away L0-1

The draw from Hell. Difficult opposition, away from home, and no real chance of a big crowd.

Stones did themselves proud though, and roared on by around 250 supporters, they dominated the first half, but didnt quite have the nous to break down a solid back line and competent goalkeeper. Steven Hughes hit the bar with a curling effort, and forced corner after corner. The second half though, saw Hampton mount wave after wave of attack, but their finishing was as bad as ours in the game against Histon. Stones simply didnt look threatening at all. The clock neared full time and a replay looked odds on, but with their last attack of the game, a cross was headed powerfully towards goal, Loanee keeper Thomas did brilliantly to get a hand to it, but it wasnt enough and the ball hit the top corner of the net. Stones did actually force a few corners in injury time, but can have no complaints about the result against a good, organised and physical team.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Re: Our previous 2 4th Round Qualifying games

Postby Wobs » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:33 pm

attic wrote:October 2004 V Histon home L0-2

Stones totally dominated this game, but somehow came away with nothing. A combination of shocking finishing from Marvin Morgan, and some good keeping meant we walked away empty handed. The first half saw Stones tear into Histon. Their keeper saved brilliantly from a Jolly header, and then watched in amazement as Marvin put the rebound straight at him as he lay on his arse. Shortly afterwards, Marvin was through on goal, but he scuffed his shot straight at the keeper again. Several more half chances were missed and Stones went in 0-0. The second half started in the same manner, but the decisive moment came on about 50 minutes. Yet again, Marvin, who had generally been a good servant to the club missed a sitter in front of goal, they broke away, and youve guessed it, with their first real chance in front of goal made no mistake. Shortly after this, they grabbed a lucky second as a cross was deflected straight into the path of their striker. Stones didnt give up though, and there was still time for Alexander and Jolly to miss regulation chances. Had Jermaine broken back into the team only a few weeks earlier, I'm totally confident we'd have won.

The draw from Hell. Difficult opposition, away from home, and no real chance of a big crowd.

Stones did themselves proud though, and roared on by around 250 supporters, they dominated the first half, but didnt quite have the nous to break down a solid back line and competent goalkeeper. Steven Hughes hit the bar with a curling effort, and forced corner after corner. The second half though, saw Hampton mount wave after wave of attack, but their finishing was as bad as ours in the game against Histon. Stones simply didnt look threatening at all. The clock neared full time and a replay looked odds on, but with their last attack of the game, a cross was headed powerfully towards goal, Loanee keeper Thomas did brilliantly to get a hand to it, but it wasnt enough and the ball hit the top corner of the net. Stones did actually force a few corners in injury time, but can have no complaints about the result against a good, organised and physical team.

The previous 4th Qual match was away to Tamworth back in 1987-88. Were you there AM? I'd love to read your memories from this game.

Apart from the 2 matches you mention, the last time we actually reached the 4th Qual round after playing through previous rounds was as long ago as 1983-84 when we actually played a total of 9 FA Cup matches before losing at Colchester in the 2nd Round proper.

I'll be well happy if we end up playing 9 FA Cup matches this season.
Wobs

Postby attic » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:59 pm

Wobs wrote:
corner of the net. Stones did actually force a few corners in injury time, but can have no complaints about the result against a good, organised and physical team.

The previous 4th Qual match was away to Tamworth back in 1987-88. Were you there AM? I'd love to read your memories from this game.

Wasnt there. Didnt have enough pocket money for the train fare. And by all accounts it wasnt a bad game to miss!!!

I'm sure someone else can fill in the gaps with far more detail, but basically 1500 odd Hoolies turned up from a number of football league clubs (I seem to recall there being a few games postponed in the football league due to weather) and mayhem was the outcome. Fireworks on the pitch, Wealdstone fans being chased around the ground.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Blue & White Army » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:09 pm

It was quite a scary day, i was young at the time, but from what i remember we got off the coach went into the ground and all hell broke loose for 5-10 minutes. Coventry thugs lashing out at anything whether young or old. Think we lost 2-0 (not sure). Got back on the coach after the game and it was stoned/rocked by their lot, it was great to get out of there.
Blue & White Army

Postby adamgloor » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:38 pm

Ahh tamworth.
Remember lots of Stones fans hiding round the side of the side as some nutcase Coventry skinheads kept charging us, their main method of attack being rockets fired straight at us. We had good support but it was scattered all over in hte chaos. In reality the game should have been replayed. Their fans were actually standing on the pitch for much of the second half. The linesman simply ran five or six yards inside the line and carried on as if it was all completely normal! I think their was minimal police there, and was just relieved to gert the fck out of there in one piece. What a fun day! Did we lose 2-0? Fairly sure we didn't score. It was all a bit like Borehamwood at home (5-1) in the Cup a few years back but imagine Borehamwood with fivew times their support!
adamgloor

Postby Elmslie Ender » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:43 pm

Wobs wrote:

Apart from the 2 matches you mention, the last time we actually reached the 4th Qual round after playing through previous rounds was as long ago as 1983-84 when we actually played a total of 9 FA Cup matches before losing at Colchester in the 2nd Round proper.

Possibly the worst hooliganism as a Stone fan that I have been on the receiving end of, and that includes Yeovil/Barnet away.

Went up on the train and were met by vanloads of police and asked where our 800 fans were. The rumour mill had suggested in town that 800 cockneys were on the way and they were certainly prepared. The 200 Stones fans were given a right seeing to and spent most of the game on the side away from the hoolies. Police as usual were useless.
Elmslie Ender

Postby attic » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:47 pm

And courtesy the Rogersaurus, heres the team that took to the field that day:

1) Alex Welsh A very good keeper actually. God knows why he decided to play for us.
2) Francicso Rivero Flash name, but thats all.
3) Tony Isaacs Was once mistakedly abused by us when we thought we was the opposition sub warming up!
4) Dennis Byatt Total bottler, did he ever win a challenge? *
5) Paul Bowgett Another wimp. Never did anything during his Wealdstone career. *
6) R Wainwright Couldnt pass the ball to save his life.*
7) Paddy McCarthy Ran around in circles like a demented gerbil. Achieved little.
8) Martin Hirst You can afford to be laid back when you are brilliant. But brilliant and this player don't sit easily.
9) Mick Pittaway Once a rated player, but totally shocking by the time we signed him. Pitiful Pittaway.
10) Mick Perry Promising young striker who never really stood a chance in this team.
11) Byron Walton Scored at a lower level, but never good enough for us.

* = actually Wealdstone legends
attic

Postby BKK » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:30 pm

The 'Tamworth experience' was probably the worst FA Cup match I have ever witnessed and whenever I go near the place or hear it (avoid it) I immediately think back to that day.

The coppers were appallingly complacent. When I complained to an officer that our Goal keeper was being pelted with ball bearings I was told to shut up and go away.....and that was before kick off!

The lino on the far side was gobbed on continually and left the pitch with a sheet of slime on his back. Who remembers that?

Eventually the SPG heavy mob arrived with dogs (AFTER THE FINAL WHISTLE) and the yobs were dealt with.

And our team were shite.

So Tamworth is not on my visitors list...
Cynicism and negativity is an easy and popular trait that is fed by failure. Success derives from someone, somewhere, being positive. Try it.
BKK

Postby Blue & White Army » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:54 pm

I'm sure you were trying to keep things calm on the coach afterwards as 1 or 2 of our fans wanted to get off and have a go?

Not quite sure how well they would have done!
Blue & White Army

Postby Hatch End Casuals » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:59 pm

Blue & White Army wrote:I'm sure you were trying to keep things calm on the coach afterwards as 1 or 2 of our fans wanted to get off and have a go?

Not quite sure how well they would have done!

They may of done quite well its not all about numbers more often than not its a case of having some balls and the desire not to be beaten by ANYONE. :twisted:
Hatch End Casuals

Next

Return to stonesnet forum