A REMARKABLE WIN

For all things Wealdstone FC

A REMARKABLE WIN

Postby Belmont Rattler » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:12 am

Congratulations to our players and supporters alike for achieving that remarkable FA Cup victory at Aylesbury yesterday.

The home side couldn't have wished for a better start, opening the scoring inside two minutes and adding a second after just eleven minutes play. Some Wealdstone teams of the past would have let their heads drop and given up the ghost, but not the present squad. With the wonderful support of our fans behind the goal, who sang and chanted for the remaining 79 minutes, our lads gradually turned the game in our favour to earn a well deserved win.

All credit to Aylesbury for giving us such a stern test. They are obviously too good a side to be playing in the Spartan League and I wish them well in their bid for promotion to the Southern League at the end of this season. They became only the second side this season to score twice against us in the FIRST HALF, Watford being the other in our first pre-season friendly. Aylesbury were also only the third team to have scored a goal against us in the FIRST HALF of our last 21 matches, Tooting and Aveley being the other two. In fact since Aveley scored against us in the final minute of the FIRST HALF back in early September, and before yesterday, we had kept a clean sheet in the FIRST HALF of nine consecutive games.

Once again congratulations to the team and our supporters for a magnificent display yesterday. To our supporters we will need you to be just as supportive at Earlsmead on Saturday when we meet Harrow Borough in the FA Trophy.

All these continued cup wins are playing havoc with our league programme, Hendon and Horsham at home and Carshalton (away) are already due to be rearranged. Should we beat Harrow Borough in the FA Trophy then our home fixture versus Hastings on Saturday, 21st November would also need to be rearranged. However on the plus side these cup wins are bringing in much needed funds for the football club and long may it continue.
Belmont Rattler

Re: A REMARKABLE WIN

Postby woodman » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:24 am

Congrats from a recovering woodman who left Aylesbury town centre at 10ish and caught up with a tired Hillsy at Harrow-on-the-Hill. I know it is easier as a neutral but at 2-0 down I still thought you would go on and win; that was a 'scoring too early' time if ever there was one for them. Once you got your first, Aylesbury's heads dropped big time and they looked knackered.
Have to say i thought the Aylesbury set up was very smart for a small club.
Probably should know but is the next round November 7th?
woodman

Return to stonesnet forum