Stones 1 Ebsfleet 2

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Stones 1 Ebsfleet 2

Postby Elmslie Ender » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:47 am

The Guvnor wrote:I was a stay away yesterday so can't comment on the game but losing to Ebbsfleet is not the end of the world and i agree there is plenty of time to put things right but i do sense there is no real plan as to how this will be achieved. Lots of people sitting around with their fingers crossed probably. A lot is made of our budget and the handicap it puts the manager under where recruitment is concerned but throughout the football world teams overcome this by being a bit better organised, a bit fitter and having an in your face attitude. I watched the first three games of the season and saw none of those qualities and in particular against Eastbourne where we had a man sent off but at times it looked as though we were 2/3 players short not 1. EE mentions crowds but you only need to look at our home form since we came up, it is shocking both in terms of results and performance so i'm actually surprised we still get relatively decent crowds but the signs are there the slide has started in that respect. Fingers crossed !

We have lost eight of our last nine home games. Atrocious. No doubt it will be blamed on the supporters not getting behind the team.
Elmslie Ender

Postby charlie » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:43 am

Depressing home form stats, depressing results home and away. Depressing position to be in.

Must have been 180-200 fleet fans present... double edged sword as our gates tumble.

Have we replaced the likes of... Luke O nien/Carl Martin/Nathan Mavilla. ? No.

How long before GB has to dip into the loan market again..... The need to freshen up the squad and cull some players will not be too far away surely.

Oh dear.
charlie

Postby timfparks » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:12 am

Uncle Jack wrote:no timparks I'm a Wealdstone fan of many years and will post on here whether you f***ing like it or not. Having been involved in the game long enough I know when a team is struggling. We got by last year on the siege mentality of being the poor boys in the rich playground. This cannot go on forever and we will soon be propping up the league for most of the season. Get off your high horse an open your eyes.

Good for you Jack. Glad you're one of us. No doubt you are as frustrated as everyone about our poor start but crying out 'relegation' before the end of August is hardly helping the cause. And of course you can post on here, as outrageously as you like, but don't expect not to be challenged.
timfparks

Postby PA peter j-b » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:20 am

timfparks wrote:
Uncle Jack wrote:no timparks I'm a Wealdstone fan of many years and will post on here whether you f***ing like it or not. Having been involved in the game long enough I know when a team is struggling. We got by last year on the siege mentality of being the poor boys in the rich playground. This cannot go on forever and we will soon be propping up the league for most of the season. Get off your high horse an open your eyes.

Good for you Jack. Glad you're one of us. No doubt you are as frustrated as everyone about our poor start but crying out 'relegation' before the end of August is hardly helping the cause. And of course you can post on here, as outrageously as you like, but don't expect not to be challenged.

I don't think he minds being challenged. I just think he probably objects to being accused of not being a Wealdstone fan just because he dared to express a negative opinion.
Can we not knock it?
PA peter j-b

Postby timfparks » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:23 am

PA peter j-b wrote:
timfparks wrote:

I don't think he minds being challenged. I just think he probably objects to being accused of not being a Wealdstone fan just because he dared to express a negative opinion.

Fair enough
timfparks

Postby attic » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:58 am

Elmslie Ender wrote:We have lost eight of our last nine home games. Atrocious. No doubt it will be blamed on the supporters not getting behind the team.

Was going to post this last night but you know what happens when the harsh facts are presented. Whats that they say about don't shoot the messenger? To be honest our crowds have held up surprisingly well considering home games have now become about as entertaining as watching a side lift the urn having just been done over by an innings. I'm sure most of us are praying for rain too :D

However when our default game plan appears to be to rely on GB to be a genius on a limited budget every year, and rely on a goalkeeper to play in a Lev Yashin type manner every game, there really isn't much room for error is there? Sooner or later both are going to have an off period.

However, I'll reiterate, I do expect things to improve from next Saturday onwards.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby BornundertheElmslie » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:16 am

The budget is what it is. We have no evidence - with a few exceptions - that other clubs are paying significantly more than us. And if we did pay more, we would still have had a rubbish pre-season just with more expensive players.

We have nothing to really offer outside investors. Our ownership structure means they can't have control so why put money in when they can't drive decisions and policy? Our facilities are not good enough to attract significant non match day revenue (conferences, business meetings, hospitality etc). We are living within our means which is the right thing to do, we need to look at decisions, policy and management for the reason why we're in the situation we are. Not budget.
BornundertheElmslie

Postby Wobs » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:59 pm

Just as worrying has been the fall off in crowds. Corresponding game last year was 901 compared to 764, with them bringing more than they did last year. Watford not playing, Chelsea and Arsenal not as well, probably only just over 600 (more than 20% down on the same game ) of our fans there yesterday is a concern. The Darby and Joan club from Fleet contributed little to bar takings either.[/quote]

Not sure you can really compare as we didn't play Ebbsfleet in August last year. Traditionally, the Saturday before Christmas has always been one of the worst days for attendances, closely followed by August fixtures, where of course a significant amount of supporters are actually away on holiday. Last season our 1st Conference South fixture was 9/8 and this season 8/8. That'll mean that come end of August we will have played 4 home league matches in peak holiday season time.

Absolute nonsense imo.

Plenty of blank midweeks coming up with no League Cup or early rounds of FAC or FAT either. No need to start so early.

Last year we had 619 v Farnborough on 23/8 (same weekend).
Wobs

Postby Kettering punchbag. » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:37 am

BornundertheElmslie wrote:The budget is what it is. We have no evidence - with a few exceptions - that other clubs are paying significantly more than us. And if we did pay more, we would still have had a rubbish pre-season just with more expensive players.

We have nothing to really offer outside investors. Our ownership structure means they can't have control so why put money in when they can't drive decisions and policy? Our facilities are not good enough to attract significant non match day revenue (conferences, business meetings, hospitality etc). We are living within our means which is the right thing to do, we need to look at decisions, policy and management for the reason why we're in the situation we are. Not budget.

Excellent post.
Well done.
Kettering punchbag.

Postby kwilks » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:03 am

Very good first half but the calvary expededly arrived for Fleet in the second half with their superb midfield, We just can't compete against full timers. Bevan is not cut out for this level and right back is a big problem for us it seems. Calcutt needs to listen to the quality coaching Scotty will be giving him, as he was constantly flat footed when we played any balls in front of him. Personally, when he's regained his post holiday fitness, I'd have Mcgleish on for 20 mins in games like this, despite his age, until we can get a quality striker in to play alongside Jeff. To have his guile plus battling qualities we would have given fleet something to think about in THEIR defence line during the second half. It has to be said Jeff was our best player, I lost track of how many flick ons he managed and he battled tirelessly for the team. I saw him after the game and he could hardly walk. was just a shame that Calcutt wasn't at the races to anticipate most of his flick ons. Josh at left back had a decent game, and both our centre backs had reasonable games and look a solid pairing for this season. Gordon will get us out of trouble before long, he always does, and Scotty is now an excellent verbal presence from the sidelines. Come on you stones!
kwilks

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum