Stones 1 Ebsfleet 2

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Stones 1 Ebsfleet 2

Postby Paddy » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:23 am

robinvn wrote:Having had the benefit of going through the whole game again, it does show just how dominant we were in the first half. We looked fit, slick put some good moves together. No doubt in the second half, you could tell Ebbsfleet are full time, as the fitness levels showed. What they did better than us in the second half was pass the ball, simply and effectively. Not just hoof it upfield as we so often did.
When you are passing simply, as they did, it does wear the opposition out as it proved with us.
We are not far from being a good side and being capable in this league, if only we did the basics...like pass the ball and not keep hoofing it upfield!

Couldn't agree more. I said it last season and say it again. We are afraid to keep the ball on the deck and pass when we run out of steam. I really dont know if they are told to lump it up field from the back or just lack confidence to do otherwise in the second half of games. I didn't expect a result Saturday and wasn't disappointed, but against the likes of Eastbourne and Margate we are on a level playing field (well ok not at the vale :) ) . We have 2 very winnable matches coming up and I expect a minimum of 4 from 6 out of those 2.
Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Paddy

Postby 08masonl » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:01 am

Rather amusing reading all these comments!

Who would of thought 4 years 10 months and 2 days later we'd be a division above them!
08masonl

Postby hillsy » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:51 pm

Interesting reading indeed, but some very relevant lessons learned to be considered to ensure we go into the NLN with eyes wide open. We're going toe to toe with even bigger fish now. However, I think we're far more prepared for that step up than last time. As someone else stated on this forum, getting points on the board early is going to be huge for us. I know some have said that Dean will want us to be competitive and strive to challenge the top half, but for me, survival would be an outstanding achievement.
hillsy

Postby Royal Blue » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:17 pm

hillsy wrote:Interesting reading indeed, but some very relevant lessons learned to be considered to ensure we go into the NLN with eyes wide open. We're going toe to toe with even bigger fish now. However, I think we're far more prepared for that step up than last time. As someone else stated on this forum, getting points on the board early is going to be huge for us. I know some have said that Dean will want us to be competitive and strive to challenge the top half, but for me, survival would be an outstanding achievement.

We saw what a decent national team looked like when Torquay visited us in season 18/19. They've gone on to do quite well in their first season back in the national. Big, powerful and could play. We gave them a much better game at their place (3-2 to them I think) AND we were at our absolute best that day too. I think they had some high quality loanees from Bristol Rovers. Having said all that, we are a much better squad now. No reason to not think top half.

Recruitment, recruitment, recruitment. DB & Stu work extremely hard at this and it was a feature of his meet the manager talk when they first joined us. We just need a bit more physicality perhaps or maybe not.
Royal Blue

Postby Waltons Left Boot » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:50 am

hillsy wrote:Interesting reading indeed, but some very relevant lessons learned to be considered to ensure we go into the NLN with eyes wide open. We're going toe to toe with even bigger fish now.

Fish with toes? You do talk axalotl nonsense.
Waltons Left Boot

Previous

Return to stonesnet forum