London GAA

London GAA

Postby cardew the cad » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:17 am

This Gaelic football club is based next to to the Polish War Memorial in South Ruislip.
Can anyone fill me in on the details.

They play in the Irish League Div 4 (as far as I can see) - so teams fly in to play them (and stay over presumably) and they fly out to for their away games which means there must be a bit of money going around. Is this centrally funded?

What sort of crowds do they get ?
Last edited by cardew the cad on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
cardew the cad

Re: London GAA

Postby Bananas » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:32 am

They're not just a Football club, they are also Hurling and other sports too. GAA mean Gaelic Athletic Association I believe.

The site at Ruislip (like all GAA "county" grounds as far as I know) is actually owned by the GAA itself, not the London GAA soley.

No idea what sort of crowds they get there, think it tends to be variable depending on who the visitors are.

The ground also hosts the finals of the football/hurling championships for "local" teams playing in the various London league competition. Some of these finals get big crowds. Granuaille are the local Wealdstone Hurling club (based would you believe around the infamous Barretts in the Stone - hence my limited knowledge of the subject), and they won the final at Ruislip a couple of years ago.
Can ask the locals a few questions if you have anything specific in mind Cardew.
Just because you come from Wealdstone it doesn't mean you are a horrible b*stard - it's just considerably more likely that you are.
Bananas

Postby Bananas » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:39 am

Actually, just found out that the London GAA administer all the footie/hurling competitions in London too...

GAA sports are organised slightly differently to say Association Football, there are clubs that play in the London "County" (just like the counties of Eire) in club competitions, and players from that area are selected to represent the County "Side". The inter county games are much more important to GAA fans than club games.

Well that from what I have gleened through the bottom of a Guinness glass in Barretts anyway...
Just because you come from Wealdstone it doesn't mean you are a horrible b*stard - it's just considerably more likely that you are.
Bananas

Postby cardew the cad » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:48 am

i'm most interested in whether there's a crossover that we might be able to tap into.

If they're locally based sports fans then they'd be a target market. However I guess by their location their crowd come from all over and drive to the games. Can't find any attendance stats.

Does the ground have terracing and stand(s) or is it a rope around a pitch?
cardew the cad

Postby Bananas » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:50 am

Dunno what your angle on this is Cardew, but I have discussed various elements of the GAA set up with people in the know over a few pints. My thinking was a possible "tie-up" with the GAA in HA3, as the area has a large Irish contingent that is seriously under catered for in respect of sporting facilities. Thought there may be an angle there that both WFC and the GAA could mutually exploit for both our benefits.
Couple of stumbling blocks though, mainly the GAA (and by that I mean the overall body that administers Gaelic sport) will only invest funding into sites that they own outright. Also, the GAA isn't particularly keen on getting into bed with what are percieved to be "English" sports (ie. Association Football and Rugby). Remember the fuss over the Irish soccer/rugby teams playing at Croke Park whilst Landsdown Road was redeveloped? Thirdly, the actual playing field for GAA sports is considerably longer than the average football pitch.

Think there could be some milage in persuing the idea though, as there are no where near enough GAA pitches in London to accommodate current demand.

Angles...always got them me...never write anything off as a bad idea til you've proved to yourself just how bad an idea it is!
Bananas

Postby Bananas » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:01 am

cardew the cad wrote:i'm most interested in whether there's a crossover that we might be able to tap into.

If they're locally based sports fans then they'd be a target market. However I guess by their location their crowd come from all over and drive to the games. Can't find any attendance stats.

Does the ground have terracing and stand(s) or is it a rope around a pitch?

Think people come from all over London for games, but certainly there is a large Irish community in the NW.

Not much in the way of terracing as far as I know, but a decent pitch with a solid barrier around the perimeter. May be a terrace down one side, or just a grass bank, can't remember. Cover is next to non existant, think there is a small "shed" behind the clubhouse goal. On the whole I think most sensible people watch the games from the clubhouse balcony with a beer in their hands (a-la AFC Moneylaunderers).
Bananas

Postby alan ainsworth » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:56 pm

My God! The things one can find under stones on messageboards.
I've never looked on here before.
Believe it or not, being a Fenian Catholic Mick bastard (albeit one who hates Celtic FC more than any Hun who ever drew breath) I go to GAA crap at Ruislip quite a bit.
Principal problem with any prospective groundshare or any other joint-venture is that the GAA is somewhat Totalitarian in its opposition to other sports taking place on GAA grounds. The argument to open Croke Park was bitter and divisive. Rule 42, prohibiting the playing of "Foreign" sports on GAA grounds, was relaxed in the case of Croke Park only - and for the duration of the building works at Lansdowne Road only. It's now back in force. With a vengeance.
Although a sport viewed as not being a threat might be tolerated - Gridiron for instance - the rule is enforced with an iron fist.
Because GAA is amateur - top players do well out of endorsements, but the only brown envelopes are for managers - it has shedloads of money to spend on all sorts of stuff. Many clubs in one-horse towns have 3g pitches and indoor training facilities. These are not found in other sports clubs in Ireland.
One club, Nemo Rangers in Cork, had the temerity to allow the Irish Rugby team - O'Driscoll, O'Gara, O'Connell and all - to use their facilities during the long cold snap two years back. This was the Grand Slam rugby side, for feck sake, yet there was a lengthy official enquiry and the club only just avoided having the book thrown at them. There were many in high places within the GAA who wanted them hung out to dry.
There's a big grant sitting in a safe in Dublin, earmarked for redevelopment of the Ruislip arena, but some locally sourced cash is needed to bring the required funding up to the necessary level... and show the GAA that there's enough enthusiasm to go ahead.
Only a very small covered area at the moment, outside the clubhouse. Probably amounts to less cover than the dugouts provide.
They got maybe 3,000 in a match against Waterford in the All-Ireland Senior Football Qualifiers last June or July, but generally it's 250 in a good week for a London v. visiting Irish county game. Most of the time the ground is used for club championship fixtures and it's used on both Saturday and Sunday for most weekend from now (This was the opening weekend of the season) until October.
Groundshare definitely not on... and the Guinness isn't even that good in the clubhouse.
alan ainsworth

Postby alan ainsworth » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:00 pm

I think a decent GAA kid turned out for Stones ressies earlier this season.
There's a chance of attracting some crossover fans, but trying to put a poster up in the clubhouse would very likely void the life insurance policy of anyone who attempted to carry out the deed.
alan ainsworth

Postby cardew the cad » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:23 am

Ground improvements at West End Lane.
Marvellous image of what the stand will look like. Effectively they've got someone's 8 year to build a lego stand and taken a picture of it.
cardew the cad

Return to Non Footie Related