Harry Oh

For all things Wealdstone FC

Harry Oh

Postby cardew the cad » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:19 am

In the format that's now standard for the back page, the headline story is Carl's move to Crewe. Secondary story is quotes from Gordon on how we aim to go higher than second. Inside back page report on Canvey game. Various snippets on Stuart Coutts, Soccer School, Bowel Cancer Day. All good.

Unfortuntely our biggest game of the season so far - a 3rd qualifying Fa Cup tie at home to Lewes, a team in a higher league than us, doesn't get a mention. Not only no build up - but no fixture listed. Odd.
cardew the cad

Re: Harry Oh

Postby chelski reject » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:51 am

To break this stale mate how about a few of us club together to pay for an advert in the Harry O? :idea: As the club have taken this extraordinary step for the Ruislip paper maybe we now should try to encourage/remind our Harrow fans where we are as much as anything, there's still a lot of ex lower mead lapsed fans and other people around who don't know about our beautiful home and the footballing revolution taking place there.

-Just rung the advertising people ( 01895 451 000) and got a couple of costs for in the sports section:

For' creditcard ' size advert £80. +vat

For quarter page £340. + vat

I'll lob in £20 to start the ball rolling on Saturday if Mr Cad or someone from the club would like to give this a go?
chelski reject

Postby hillsy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:00 am

Save it for Luton Town (home) in the 4th qualifyer ;-)
hillsy

Postby cardew the cad » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:01 am

The stalemate has been broken with Ruislip Gazette in that an advert has been placed. Whether this leads to a thawing of their views on covering our go-ahead club we shall see.

I personally don't think the cash strapped club or its' cash strapped fans should have to pay to publicise the biggest game of the season so far in the newspaper that has been covering the club since time began. It's the paper's job to reflect what major events are happening in the area and this week's game is without doubt one of them. If you look at the most viewed newstories on the Harry O website they're nearly all WFC related so there's an appetite for news about our club greater than anything else.

I'm confused. I thought previewing games was more deemed more important than "tired old" match reports. Yet we have a decent sized report on last week's game and no preview of Lewes. Normally the Harry O is good at this sort of thing so I presume this is an oversight.

I'm pretty sure that most interested parties know we play in Ruislip now. The floating fans though may not know we have a big game in the FA Cup 3rd Qual on Saturday though and that may cost us gate-money.
Last edited by cardew the cad on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
cardew the cad

Postby charlie » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:10 am

No oversight on the Harry O staff. Tis run by a lot of young spotty type oiks who have no history/knowledge of the area.

The main priority of this pathetic local is to keep all the adverts coming in to pay em spotty young oiks.

Well I picked it up, read it, and put it back on the news stand. So make me want to buy it Trinity papers? No chance at present.
charlie

Postby Elmslie Ender » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:57 am

hillsy wrote:Save it for Luton Town (home) in the 4th qualifyer ;-)

We won't need to sell that game. 2k full house I reckon.
Elmslie Ender

Postby Stoneme » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:20 am

charlie wrote:No oversight on the Harry O staff. Tis run by a lot of young spotty type oiks who have no history/knowledge of the area.

The main priority of this pathetic local is to keep all the adverts coming in to pay em spotty young oiks.

Well I picked it up, read it, and put it back on the news stand. So make me want to buy it Trinity papers? No chance at present.

I'm neither spotty or, indeed, an oik. Come see me on Saturday.
Stoneme

Postby Stoneme » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:21 am

And while I am on here I might as well hold my hands up - a Lewes preview was done but god only knows what happened to it when it went through the system. I'll try and do something for the web instead.
Stoneme

Postby cardew the cad » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:54 am

Words fail me.

And you.
cardew the cad

Postby attic » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:42 pm

I'm afraid the Harry O seems to be a cheap and tacky production these days. Compare an edition from 4-5 years ago with the current Microsoft Wordpad produced edition and you will see what I mean. The presentation of some of the photographs is absolutely woeful. I despair at those who take fine photographs only for a lazy cut and paste job from the internet which presents a low resolution image. The image from a scum game a few editions ago was like something one of the pre prep pupils here would have done.

I know it seems jobs are being deskilled, pay cut, and any sense of pride taken out of the work ethic. But I can't believe how the Harry O has gone backwards so much in the past few years........
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Next

Return to stonesnet forum