A sign of how far we've come?!

For all things Wealdstone FC

A sign of how far we've come?!

Postby hillsy » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:27 pm

Interesting to observe some of the post match comments on here along with some of our supporters reactions during the game.

Yes - tonight wasn't a particularly fantastic performance. A fair few players were well below their best today.

But...

...we have a massive match on Saturday and even though GB would have told them to concentrate on tonight, it was inevitable that a few minds might be elsewhere.

A few years ago - even without the distraction of a big game - we would have lost tonight.

That's 12 (?) games unbeaten. We didn't lose tonight. It was scrappy and we played to their strengths (in the air) but we always battled and tried to play and win the game right to the end.

Hornchurch might be sitting quite low down the table, but they will not finish down there. In the circumstances, I think tonight was a very good result and definately a point gained. Some of the players didn't deserve some of the shitty and sarcastic comments I heard coming from some supporters mouths tonight.

It's all about Saturday now and hopefully we will go into the game ready to smash em!
hillsy

Re: A sign of how far we've come?!

Postby attic » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:32 pm

hillsy wrote:Interesting to observe some of the post match comments on here along with some of our supporters reactions during the game.

Yes - tonight wasn't a particularly fantastic performance. A fair few players were well below their best today.

But...

...we have a massive match on Saturday and even though GB would have told them to concentrate on tonight, it was inevitable that a few minds might be elsewhere.

A few years ago - even without the distraction of a big game - we would have lost tonight.

That's 12 (?) games unbeaten. We didn't lose tonight. It was scrappy and we played to their strengths (in the air) but we always battled and tried to play and win the game right to the end.

Hornchurch might be sitting quite low down the table, but they will not finish down there. In the circumstances, I think tonight was a very good result and definately a point gained. Some of the players didn't deserve some of the shitty and sarcastic comments I heard coming from some supporters mouths tonight.

It's all about Saturday now and hopefully we will go into the game ready to smash em!

As my posting in the main thread suggested, I totally agree with this.

Maybe some of our stoats would perhaps like to go back to Reeve, Armetifio, Gooderick, Karamoko etc etc etc.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Whatmough » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:14 am

Hornchurch is not the best place to go midweek and win. If you asked me at the start of the day that I could have a draw and no injuries plus the ability to 'rest' several players from the majority of the game. I'd take it!
Whatmough

Postby Enfield Stones » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:59 am

Agree with most of what Hillsy says but have to say our midfield was shocking last night, we could not string 2 passes together.
Oleary seemed off his game, Ebay was not at his elegant best and even Kieron a tad off his best, Spendlove in patches was good.
The bottom line is that everyone including the crowd was thinking about saturday, who can blame anyone re this, we have had
so much sh*t over the years that any bit of success is enjoyed to the hilt.

Roll on saturday

Jez
Enfield Stones

Postby Blue & White Army » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:13 am

I dint think anyone has slagged the performance last night and I for one am happy with the point, but I’ll stand by that it was a woeful game to watch.
I just hope Ashe doesn’t get injured or suspended for too many games as the midfield struggle without him.
Blue & White Army

Postby pjb57 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:04 pm

Didnt go to the game last night ,so i cant comment on the performance . Given the amount of games we have gone unbeaten its always a mark of a good side ,when we can put in a below par performance ,yet still walk away with something from a game .
There is know way GB would of allowed saturday to be any sort of distraction,that would of been firmly dealt with prior to the match .
The bench mark that the squad have set for themselves does mean ,any average type performances will sit out ,yet we still got a point .

There will be an expectation on the team ref saturday like or not we are favourites & we must have the belief & collective strength to deal with that & deliver a result ,stick a good performance onto that as well & thats a bonus .
pjb57

Postby Essex Stones » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:02 pm

I think that as we are disappointed with only a 0 - 0 draw away from home which takes us 2nd . shows our expecatations are higher!

happy with the point , but the only low point is that the only real winners were Dartford
Essex Stones

Return to stonesnet forum