Stones 3 Braintree 1

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Stones 3 Braintree 1

Postby Kettering punchbag. » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:32 pm

adamgloor wrote:Maybe we could wave sticks of dynamite above our heads ala Scorpions Wind of Change?
That would show our softer side.

I just thought it would show some maturity when singing a song that praises our team.it might change the perception amongst other fans that we're Neanderthals all the time too. Your comment about scorpions ,wind of change and softer side doesn't mean a lot to me but I'd sure know where to stick that dynamite.
Clown.
Kettering punchbag.

Postby BornundertheElmslie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:29 pm

Proper Not Happy wrote:Our stewards didn't help yesterday with their behaviour inflamed an already delicate situation. Some of our fans need to walk away than try and pick a fight too. If we get promoted (the club should turn this down as we aren't ready) we will be a laughing stock. We've already soured our name with a decision we made in August.

This has to be someone on a wind up surely?

It’s bloody great watching the Stones at the moment. I look forward to games more than I have done in a few years. We look like we could win every time we take the field and there is a real buzz about the place. What’s not to like?

We have a genuine chance of going up this year; I’d have thought the 2 promotion spots will eventually be fought out between Dartford, Truro, Hemel, Hampton and us, based on what we’ve seen so far. Chelmsford nowhere near good enough, neither are Welling, St Albans and Braintree.
BornundertheElmslie

Postby Ronnie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:22 pm

Kettering punchbag. wrote:And another thing. Can we drop the sweary part of the fans favourite song ?
"We're really/proper dynamite " or similar would be more inclusive than "effin".
We're better than that and should save the more industrial style of language for opponents who deserve it.
Just saying.

Bizarre post in that I'd been thinking exactly the same at the weekend. Noticeable that a lot of people don't join in and are clearly uncomfortable. Save the swearing for when necessary e.g. standing behind the Chelmsford dugout.
Ronnie

Postby worruz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:29 pm

Does anyone else find themselves humming the tune or even singing the song to themselves at various moments during the week?

Ok, just me then.
worruz

Postby charlie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:47 pm

Like you worruz I hum a lot during the week.

Now what two words went with that song blue and white army ?
charlie

Postby MellowYellow » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:41 pm

Ronnie wrote:Bizarre post in that I'd been thinking exactly the same at the weekend. Noticeable that a lot of people don't join in and are clearly uncomfortable. Save the swearing for when necessary e.g. standing behind the Chelmsford dugout.

Or ringing around the rafters on a famous away day at Southport? I wonder whether anyone was offended by "We are the Stones" that day, I suspect euphoria and adrenaline helped dampen people's outrage! Perhaps it seems more contrived and risks making people uncomfortable when it's a common or garden league game.

It's an interesting talking point because it seems fairly obvious that's the way football's going. If we progress up the leagues as I’m assuming most Stones fans (with the odd exception) desire then an increasingly sanitised environment is coming whether we like it or not. However, self-censoring our own songs kind of puts us in the company of Dulwich and Whitehawk whose efforts to create a different kind of "match day experience" have usually met with some sniffiness on here.
MellowYellow

Postby Ronnie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:54 pm

I think there's a lot of people who won't like the inevitable 'sanitisation' that we will experience if we progress up the pyramid, whether it's being forced to sit in a corner of a ground with no freedom of movement or simply idiotic stewards out to spoil enjoyment.

I'm all for industrial language particularly against cheating Essex ******s, the question here is whether the f word adds anything to this particular chant, which in my opinion it doesn't. There's no outrage, but if it discourages even a few who might otherwise want to join in, why not make the adjustment?
Ronnie

Postby Kettering punchbag. » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:22 pm

MellowYellow wrote:
kind of puts us in the company of Dulwich and Whitehawk .

Not all of us.
Kettering punchbag.

Postby Kettering punchbag. » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:24 pm

Ronnie wrote: whether the f word adds anything to this particular chant, which in my opinion it doesn't. There's no outrage, but if it discourages even a few who might otherwise want to join in, why not make the adjustment?

Couldn't agree more.
Kettering punchbag.

Postby worruz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:41 pm

Ronnie wrote:I'm all for industrial language particularly against cheating Essex ******s, the question here is whether the f word adds anything to this particular chant, which in my opinion it doesn't. There's no outrage, but if it discourages even a few who might otherwise want to join in, why not make the adjustment?

So I'd say that people can join in and sing the sanitised version or the sweary version and one or the other will eventually die off.

Its like the ' we are Wealdstone' song. Some sing ' we are Wealdstone, Lower Mead' whereas some sing ' Grovesnor Vale'.

I'm not one for doctrines. Like people saying fans shouldn't look at their phone during games or fans should stand in a certain part of the ground.

Things should sort of evolve naturally.

I enjoyed seeing and hearing a certain team member singing the 'We are the Stones' song complete with swear word as he left the pitch after the Truro game the other week.

:lol:
worruz

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum