World Cup 2018

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: World Cup 2018

Postby attic » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:08 pm

worruz wrote:and Spain have sacked their manager two days before their first game.

Hilarious

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fernando Hierro takes over.

Great eyebrows.

Not quite to Scorcese standards but not far off.

A shame we didn't sack Hodgson two days before. Euro 2016.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Stoney Ground » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:14 pm

The Guvnor wrote:I suspect the next World Cup in Qatar will finish off everyones interest in this tournament once and for all.

Even this one I'll be missing two of the group games and not in the slightest bit bothered by it - never thought I'd see the day.

It must be great to be German, I'll be over there for the semis and the people I'm visiting are already planning where they'll watch it.

With confidence like that no wonder they are always knocking on the door of winning it.

Away from you probably :lol:
Stoney Ground

Postby Blue & White Army » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:14 pm

Can’t wait for it to start. For the first time in years we’re not predictable, although this could all change in the first game. You’d do well to actually pick the team for our opening game.

I’ll be watching our 2nd game in some pub in Munich, hopefully no plastic chairs will be flung....
Blue & White Army

Postby Blue & White Army » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:18 pm

worruz wrote:Good to see a healthy smattering of black and brown faces in the squad. Hopefully it gets the backs up of the resident Brexiteers on here.

Blimey :roll:
Blue & White Army

Postby paul reader » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:59 pm

Regarding the 2026 world cup this will be mexico third go
paul reader

Postby worruz » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:20 pm

Blue & White Army wrote:
worruz wrote:Good to see a healthy smattering of black and brown faces in the squad. Hopefully it gets the backs up of the resident Brexiteers on here.

Blimey :roll:

Can’t believe you were the only one to pick up on that. Others must know me too well. Can’t believe you don’t

:lol:
worruz

Postby Blue Pom » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:48 pm

Whatever happens with the England national team and let's face it most of us will be holding our breath and waiting for the moment of farce to occur, the biggest joke at this World Cup will be VAR. With linesman being told to not wave the flag if the offside is to close to call, the games are going to fall into absolute lunacy. This and other plays where the refs can use VAR will slow the game down, robbing us of the spectacle it should be. We'll all be tearing our hair out and I'm sure there'll be pressure put on FIFA to abandon it during the WC it will get that bad.
Blue Pom

Postby realstones » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:03 am

Blue Pom wrote:Whatever happens with the England national team and let's face it most of us will be holding our breath and waiting for the moment of farce to occur, the biggest joke at this World Cup will be VAR. With linesman being told to not wave the flag if the offside is to close to call, the games are going to fall into absolute lunacy. This and other plays where the refs can use VAR will slow the game down, robbing us of the spectacle it should be. We'll all be tearing our hair out and I'm sure there'll be pressure put on FIFA to abandon it during the WC it will get that bad.

Yes, let’s leave it to the integrity of the officials yeah!

Thank god there’s no English refs going.
realstones

Postby attic » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:57 am

Agree VAR will soon become unpopular and yes there probably will be loads of jumping about to scrap it. The World Cup often has a week or so period where things go awfully pear shaped as far as PR goes. Its usually the relentless red cards that are the cause of this. Then again VAR has been brought into due to the massive pressure put on referees by players, supporters and betting companies. Its simply gotten so big now that mistakes are now seen as unforgivable. I'd say the fans are equally culpable in all of this as they've embraced the frenzy that has occurred. They are the ones laying the bets down and then going ballistic when a refereeing decision costs them money. Never mind the fact the players are f***ing up constantly with some pretty basic mistakes of technique and aptitude.

There's a very collective responsibility for what will inevitably happen at this World Cup.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby adamgloor » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:45 am

VAR was inevitable.
Now that the TV super Slow mo stuff shows the glaring errors every week it had to happen.
A shame for England it wasn't around in 1986, and for the Irish against Henry's hand ball.
It will be a bit of a shambles for a while, but once everyone gets used to it we will wonder how we put up without it.
At least there will be a reduction on diving?
adamgloor

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum