Personal statement from Peter Marsden

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Personal statement from Peter Marsden

Postby charlie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:07 am

Gone backwards Attic ... You are right.

You could argue the "Old board " saved this club ......so they also have the right to "Kill off" this club once and for all.
charlie

Postby BornundertheElmslie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:25 am

Despite what some may like to believe, we are not idiots, and are able to gather facts by seeking a range of opinions. The behaviour of some individuals over the past year has been a disgrace and smacks of a complete lack of integrity. The club needs a leader, but someone who is honest, trustworthy and believes they are a servant to its supporters. Leadership of the club is not a right, it’s a privilege.

PM is not a strong leader and my personal view is that has been his downfall. Because a stronger leader would have collaborated better, found a consensus, communicated better but also exposed the bullshit behaviour going on in the background since pretty much the moment he arrived. And even dating back to when Howard was chairman. It will be interesting to hear Rory and Mark’s plans to take the club forward and progress, I hope they have one. Because they’ve just removed a guy who put in hundreds of thousands of pounds and even paid thousands of pounds in expenses out of his own pocket last season to former official(s) who charge for their time “volunteering” for the club, to try and quell some of the unrest.

Interesting to read in his statement that expenses continue to be claimed. In the spirit of transparency - which everyone wants - let’s have the facts on how much has been taken out of the club in recent years from individuals versus put in. Then shareholders can objectively form a view on whether that’s value for money and who the right people are to take this club forward. After all, that is who our officials are accountable to and they shouldn’t forget it.
BornundertheElmslie

Postby Windermere Bore » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:38 am

:!:
Last edited by Windermere Bore on Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windermere Bore

Postby NinetiesStone » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:40 am

A very eye-opening statement that confirms the speculation that all has not been well at board level for some time. Clearly Marsden has invested a staggering amount of money, but a lot of the recent problems clearly stem from the fact that in order for budgets to be sustainable we are reliant on him continuing to do so, which inevitably requires greater control of the club (and understandably to some his extent in his mind control over decision-making). Unfortunately as others have said his leadership has been lacking and recent revelations can't paper over some of the poor judgments that have been made in terms of the playing budget (expensive contracts and how many of Bobby's acquisitions have come good?) and extending the managers contract etc without any tangible return. I thought his statement read well but would have been better if he had recognised some of the failings of his tenure and noted any efforts to address these. Unwillingness to do this was probably his downfall in the end. Will be interesting to see if he tries to sell his shares or retains them.

The newly configured board clearly have a big problem in financing the rest of the season and we may have to go back to the drawing board with the whole squad in the summer if we can stagger on for that long. The AGM now takes on huge significance.
NinetiesStone

Postby The Guvnor » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:12 am

NinetiesStone wrote:Will be interesting to see if he tries to sell his shares or retains them.

Who would want them, they are worthless unless someone wants to buy them.

Because of the structure of the club he owns I think about 29% but other board members between them will have more so in effect PM is sitting on a pile of shares that are worthless and leaves him without any say in how the club is run. Not a great investment is it ?

As alluded to by a few others I really hope those that have elbowed PM out of his chair have a realistic plan to manage the shortfall because if they haven't people are not going to be best pleased at the prospect of the poverty stricken era returning to the club.

Looking long term, it probably is about getting through to the end of the season and then sitting down with a blank sheet of paper. Its the sort of instability that means players will be looking elsewhere but lets be honest apart from a few exceptions who cares.

BW has to be a dead man walking now so a period of massive uncertainty and change about to happen but if it means we have brighter more stable future then it has to happen.

Any talk of play offs/promotion needs to be put to one side until the club can sort itself out and the first task is to bring back the feel good factor, get a bit of unity back into the club and hopefully claw back the fans who have voted with their feet.
The Guvnor

Postby 61663 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:23 am

That well worn cliche 'the dam has burst' comes to mind .....

Others anove have rightly prioritised the need to give fulsome praise to and acknowledgement of the unprecedented financual support to WFC by PM.

What is clear, when implementung the long over due and necessary organisational structural changes, he lacked the requisire political nous in how to deal effectively with the resistance of counter revolutionaries within the current (and ex-) ranks of what is still a bloated Board.

The club - and I again mean not just the present members of the board but former ones lurking about on varous SM platforms; shareholders and most critically the supporters - needs to decide how the overall governance of WFC is to be carried out. I have always strongly advocated the need for a slim lean executive. Yes you could argue management 'by committee' might have prevented some (but not all) the glaring errors in the past 12 - 18 months. But remember this is the same shortsighted coterie who made the ludicrous decision to deliberately price out the club's youth support.

What is obvous we will not induce another 'benefactor' to miraculously appear to replicate or supersede the financial input of PM whilst this issue remains unchanged. I.e. The 33% Share Rule. The club should take legal advice to confirm that this restriction complies with company law and publish it on the club website.

And finally, I hope some form of due diligence is performed at the AGM. If true - and there appears to be no reason to doubt the veracity of the assertion - it is nothing short of a disgrace that shares have been doled out as a 'quid pro quo' * for 'professional expenses' incurred by directors carrying out work on behalf of the club. This is an insult to ordinary fans who each close season provide literally hundreds and hundreds of hours of their free time gratis.

Name and shame the free loaders.

* No doubt our privately educated forum members will be able to explain if required
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an Ill opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”

Postby russpa » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:36 am

surely the new board will put in more money than PM did or otherwise we Bostik Bound.

BW and PM always seemed to have a great relationship. Even recently when things were bad they would embrace after a game and stand n chat before a match with smiles. So New board you must have much bigger and better plans then ? Surely.
Last edited by russpa on Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
russpa

Postby Elmslie Ender » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:39 am

It seems incredulous that we are jettisoning someone who has invested 300k into the club, but with our financial stability and the club's viability being at stake, something had to give. We have to find a way to match sustainability with ambition and work in a collaborative way throughout the club. Obviously we have to thank PM for his massive investment - something we as supporters clamored for many years - but ultimately bar one stand, we have achieved very little, a Trophy run withstanding, for a lot of money being spent. Will anyone else come in as an investor when they have seen what has gone before?

The existing board have a huge amount of work ahead of them and the next six months or so are likely to be very challenging for the club. There didn't appear to be Plan B at the last meeting we had; hopefully there is one now.

We, the club, have wasted a huge opportunity to develop the foundations of the football club in order that it could/should have progressed to the next level.There are a number of people at fault for this and not all of it sits at the feet of PM, but he has failed to show leadership and that has ultimately cost him. A leader would have dealt with the internecine politics of this football club.

The way to judge a chairman is to view them with the benefit of hindsight. Let time pass and reflect on their time at the helm.

Nobody comes out of this well and it is certainly not a day when anyone has won.
Elmslie Ender

Postby charlie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:18 pm

A gentleman who willingly puts in £300k plus needs to be heard... Forget all about leaders. We don t have any anywhere.

Especially when he states that... " Some in this clubs structure are the most ."Odious ".. individuals he has ever met.

His success includes.. record high season ticket sales,/sense of great anticipation/ changing the old wealdstone/ground improvements.

Will the "odious" individuals match that ever again.?..... No charlie. YOU have had your fun.
charlie

Postby WfcGooner » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:58 pm

What a complete and utter shambles. Well, we got a statement, eh? Or two.

Ronnie wrote:Let's hope there's a Plan B. Also that BW is true to his word, and I'll quote - "If the chairman goes, I go, f*** the contract".

I know you have your opinion Ronnie and it's valued, of course. However, I would like to think that we need some stability somewhere at the moment and now would really not be a good time to change manager (unless to dramatically reduce a wage bill - not our choice). Who in their right mind would join the club at the moment? What would be the remit? Promotion (that we allegedly can't afford)? Squad changes (that again, we alleged can't afford....), etc, etc.

BornundertheElmslie wrote:Despite what some may like to believe, we are not idiots, and are able to gather facts by seeking a range of opinions. The behaviour of some individuals over the past year has been a disgrace and smacks of a complete lack of integrity. The club needs a leader, but someone who is honest, trustworthy and believes they are a servant to its supporters. Leadership of the club is not a right, it’s a privilege.

PM is not a strong leader and my personal view is that has been his downfall. Because a stronger leader would have collaborated better, found a consensus, communicated better but also exposed the bullshit behaviour going on in the background since pretty much the moment he arrived. And even dating back to when Howard was chairman. It will be interesting to hear Rory and Mark’s plans to take the club forward and progress, I hope they have one. Because they’ve just removed a guy who put in hundreds of thousands of pounds and even paid thousands of pounds in expenses out of his own pocket last season to former official(s) who charge for their time “volunteering” for the club, to try and quell some of the unrest.

Interesting to read in his statement that expenses continue to be claimed. In the spirit of transparency - which everyone wants - let’s have the facts on how much has been taken out of the club in recent years from individuals versus put in. Then shareholders can objectively form a view on whether that’s value for money and who the right people are to take this club forward. After all, that is who our officials are accountable to and they shouldn’t forget it.

Outstanding comment, as ever. If, as I suspect, the begging bowl comes towards the supporter base, then the last paragraph is an absolute prerequisite before I stick my hand in my pocket.

NinetiesStone wrote:,,,,, The newly configured board clearly have a big problem in financing the rest of the season and we may have to go back to the drawing board with the whole squad in the summer if we can stagger on for that long...

The Guvnor wrote:....Looking long term, it probably is about getting through to the end of the season and then sitting down with a blank sheet of paper. Its the sort of instability that means players will be looking elsewhere but lets be honest apart from a few exceptions who cares.

The trouble is, doing this at the end of the season is too late for next season. The planning & prep for next season should, tbh, start in the next few weeks - it's where we failed so many times in the past and yet, ironically, appeared to have got it right this time (more than any other time).

61663 wrote:....What is obvous we will not induce another 'benefactor' to miraculously appear to replicate or supersede the financial input of PM whilst this issue remains unchanged. I.e. The 33% Share Rule. The club should take legal advice to confirm that this restriction complies with company law and publish it on the club website.

And finally, I hope some form of due diligence is performed at the AGM. If true - and there appears to be no reason to doubt the veracity of the assertion - it is nothing short of a disgrace that shares have been doled out as a 'quid pro quo' * for 'professional expenses' incurred by directors carrying out work on behalf of the club. This is an insult to ordinary fans who each close season provide literally hundreds and hundreds of hours of their free time gratis.

As Guv says, the shares, particularly given the Machiavellian ousting, could now be worthless. Using the same example as above with BW - yet more extreme - why would anyone at all (beyond those remaining on the Board) approach the club to invest figures in the region of PM? It's usually a sign of madness to get financially involved in football but to ask people to donate that level, only to receive such a reward as PM has just publicly received, is off that scale now, surely?

Elmslie Ender wrote:Nobody comes out of this well and it is certainly not a day when anyone has won.

That's an understatement and very polite. It's a complete, and very public, f*ck up.
WfcGooner

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum