Woking away, January 26

For all things Wealdstone FC

Woking away, January 26

Postby timfparks » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:23 pm

Really looking forward to this one. Woking is (at this level) a big club with a stadium and ambitions to match.. last time we played at Kingsfield was a memorable FA Cup 1st qual rd replay in 1975 when we came back from 3-1 down to level at 3-3, and then pinch it 5-3 in extra time. Would be happy with that on Saturday:)
The ground now has good cover at both ends, one possibly the biggest stand in non-league and I’ve heard nothing about segregation so I imagine you can change ends happily. This has the potential to be a really good day out - and perhaps the last sighting of Connor Stevens in a Stones shirt. Other clubs are sniffing around and no doubt there will be a bit of tension by deadline day. Let’s hope he only goes for a big fee to a decent League outfit. Otherwise stay with us Connor!
Last edited by timfparks on Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timfparks

Re: Woking away, January 26

Postby Elmslie Ender » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:34 pm

They have segregated clubs like Dulwich and Billericay, so you can rest assured that we most certainly will. Anyone who saw the Watford game would have seen that you get seats in the far corner of that big stand and then uncovered terracing running down the side of the pitch. They have some larly yoofs as well.

Normally this would see a 200+ away following but at the moment, I'd think no more than 150 away fans.
Elmslie Ender

Postby timfparks » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:51 pm

No segregation according to Uncle Fingers. And I reckon we’ll be there en masse
timfparks

Postby deadly » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:09 pm

https://www.footballgroundguide.com/lea ... adium.html

Here is a link to Woking's page on FootballGroundsGuide, showing not only their impressive end stand & covered terracing
but also their pair of main stands that are very reminiscent of the grandstand at Lower Mead.

Ground capacity is 6000, a good example of what should be the target capacity of the Vale. :) :)
"..You love bloody Weadstone more than you love me.." answer: YES.
deadly

Postby Ronnie » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:43 pm

timfparks wrote:Really looking forward to this one. Woking is (at this level) a big club with a stadium and ambitions to match.. last time we played at Kingsfield was a memorable FA Cup 1st qual rd replay in 1975 when we came back from 3-1 down to level at 3-3, and then pinch it 5-3 in extra time. Would be happy with that on Saturday:)

The records say we played at Woking in the London Senior Cup in 1980, I don't remember anything about that. 1975 was epic, a dash from school into Harrow to get the coach that day, 3-1 down with 10 or so mins to go....
Ronnie

Postby attic » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:32 pm

No segregation. Presume they change ends like most clubs then??? Otherwise we all know the outcome.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Elmslie Ender » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:51 am

attic wrote:No segregation. Presume they change ends like most clubs then??? Otherwise we all know the outcome.

Think their yoof stay in the standing covered end.....
Elmslie Ender

Postby HammeredWasp » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:03 am

Woking stay at one end of the ground (covered standing end). Wealdstone will be allowed in the other end (covered seating) and along the side of the ground.
Watch out for the announcement of "please leave by gate 3" ;)
HammeredWasp

Postby Ronnie » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:50 pm

HammeredWasp wrote: Wealdstone will be allowed in the other end (covered seating) and along the side of the ground.

Punching distance from Tyler?
Ronnie

Postby Wobs » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:53 pm

Ronnie wrote:
timfparks wrote:Really looking forward to this one. Woking is (at this level) a big club with a stadium and ambitions to match.. last time we played at Kingsfield was a memorable FA Cup 1st qual rd replay in 1975 when we came back from 3-1 down to level at 3-3, and then pinch it 5-3 in extra time. Would be happy with that on Saturday:)

The records say we played at Woking in the London Senior Cup in 1980, I don't remember anything about that. 1975 was epic, a dash from school into Harrow to get the coach that day, 3-1 down with 10 or so mins to go....

I have a vague memory of the LSC game being a hard fought affair. We fielded our proper 1st team and took the match seriously. It was 0-0 at half time. We let in a goal early 2nd half (an error from Cranstone) and conceeded a further 2 goals very late in the game (again another error from keeper Ian Cranstone). Conversely, the Woking keeper had a good game.

Cranstones' errors persuaded Manager Ken Payne to sign Graham Tutt and then the best goalkeeper in Beds (Bob Taylor) within weeks.

Oddly, considering they played so few games for us, both Graham Tutt and Bob Taylor are well remembered.

Of course, I well remember the 5-3 win in the FA Cup at Woking when we came from 1-3 down. Probably the most exciting match I've ever watched. Those of the Amateur Cup era rave on about the 6-5 v Stevenage, those of us from the 70's professional era go on about the Woking 5-3.
Wobs

Next

Return to stonesnet forum