NATIONAL LEAGUE CANCELLED

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE CANCELLED

Postby Royal Blue » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:30 pm

Some relevant paperwork supplied via Paul Doswell (Havant) -

https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/statu ... 3543778309

The NL and FA seek a warranty of compliance for playoffs.
Last edited by Royal Blue on Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Royal Blue

Postby attic » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:31 pm

Royal Blue wrote:
attic wrote:Hmmm, this resolution has definitely had a lawyer's influence in its presentation. It effectively transfers the risk from the National League and FA to the Government. On the surface given the 24/4/4 voting structure everything should be rosy. However the previous resolution GUARANTEED the NL play offs. This one doesn't.

It's fine, it doesn't transfer it to gov but to the general safety principles of it. Playoffs are taking place at other levels and so provided step 2 can assure Covid secure playoffs and can fund it - all will be well. The NL are just hedging their bets with wording because they know that there is a chance they won't take place. It works and imo is actually fair. It would also seem to apply to step 1 playoffs.

Can see your point of view here. Effectively its actually offloading the legal responsibility to members clubs to ensure they are compliant within government guidelines. (Dare I say insured against cancellation via a second spike too)
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Royal Blue » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:33 pm

attic wrote:
Royal Blue wrote:
attic wrote:Hmmm, this resolution has definitely had a lawyer's influence in its presentation. It effectively transfers the risk from the National League and FA to the Government. On the surface given the 24/4/4 voting structure everything should be rosy. However the previous resolution GUARANTEED the NL play offs. This one doesn't.

It's fine, it doesn't transfer it to gov but to the general safety principles of it. Playoffs are taking place at other levels and so provided step 2 can assure Covid secure playoffs and can fund it - all will be well. The NL are just hedging their bets with wording because they know that there is a chance they won't take place. It works and imo is actually fair. It would also seem to apply to step 1 playoffs.

Can see your point of view here. Effectively its actually offloading the legal responsibility to members clubs to ensure they are compliant within government guidelines.

Exactly. See paperwork. They are covering themselves and are right to do so. I think there's murmurs from up North that some don't want or cannot afford to take part. NL wise - I note the Borehamwood Chairman has remortgaged his house to fund his team's playoff attempt!!!

Regardless, we are in the clear of all this. We need a resolution that will get through, the rest is for the history books. This one should do it and they've kept the response time short. This could have been so much worse, so I'm relieved at what is proposed..
Royal Blue

Postby attic » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:47 pm

I guess it also covers the possibility of a club pondering the play offs then dropping out late due to costs. That club may have been the fourth club required to make play offs legitimate. I can actually see a scenario where a Havant or a Dorking type club 'donate' money to other clubs to make sure their own game goes ahead!!!
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Royal Blue » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:49 pm

attic wrote:I guess it also covers the possibility of a club pondering the play offs then dropping out late due to costs. That club may have been the fourth club required to make play offs legitimate. I can actually see a scenario where a Havant or a Dorking type club 'donate' money to other clubs to make sure their own game goes ahead!!!

Yeah, anything could happen. The NL know it. Some of these clubs are skint. Even if it as low as £20k as Doswell says - where the hell do some of these teams get that kind of money from. I hear Gateshead only have 10 players.. The list of issues goes on.. chaos, particularly at step 2. They want the playoffs, they've got them, provided..

Let's hope that by the time Man City vs Arsenal kick off at 20:15 on Weds, we have something to toast.
Royal Blue

Postby s.k.khanna » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:36 pm

attic wrote:I guess it also covers the possibility of a club pondering the play offs then dropping out late due to costs. That club may have been the fourth club required to make play offs legitimate. I can actually see a scenario where a Havant or a Dorking type club 'donate' money to other clubs to make sure their own game goes ahead!!!

If any team is unable to make the Play-Offs for whatever reason, I imagine they will just re-jig the fixtures to exclude them like they did last season. Remember Concord were removed quite late in the season from the Play-Offs after failing Ground Grading requirements...

https://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.c ... 0remaining
s.k.khanna

Postby deadly » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:44 pm

Yes, it is very good news that finally, finally, next season the hunt for your missing jumper lost up north can resume.
"..You love bloody Weadstone more than you love me.." answer: YES.
deadly

Postby s.k.khanna » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:50 pm

deadly wrote:Yes, it is very good news that finally, finally, next season the hunt for your missing jumper lost up north can resume.

...yawn!
s.k.khanna

Postby deadly » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:10 pm

Also, that bit about balancing the National club numbers looks like they are preparing for the possibility of Macclesfield being demoted straight into the National North, which would of course save a second club currently in the relegation places.
That would be good news for Ebbsfleet.
Now the only hope for Fylde and Chorley is if before next season starts, one or more EFL clubs goes tits up.

Apparently they are waiting for further indiscretions by Macclesfield to be sorted by a court before getting the axe out, but no doubt it has been sharpened & oiled nicely by the Stevenage Chairman.

Not our problem.
But that would mean as I said previously that three clubs go into the north and none into the South, so some re-jigging will be required.
"..You love bloody Weadstone more than you love me.." answer: YES.
deadly

Postby attic » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:46 pm

There is absolutely no historical precedent for a club kicked out of the Football League to slot in at non league level two. Is there? If Macclesfield are relegated, then they go into the NL. If they are booted out, then they follow Bury to Northern Counties league.
attic

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum