Stones 0 Eastleigh 0

For all things Wealdstone FC

Stones 0 Eastleigh 0

Postby worruz » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:18 pm

Fairly entertaining game and a decent performance from the Stones, especially first half.

Looked like a bad injury for Meekings unfortunately. Let's hope not.
I got a colour TV, so I can see, The Knicks play basketball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Re: Stones 0 Eastleigh 0

Postby charlie » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:25 pm

Is relegation back on ? ....This is becoming as bad as Mr Bumbles change of plans.

Solid at the back ,The Arsenal loan much better tonight than at Sutton.

Scoring goals now becomes the problem... So are Moses/Slew/Hughes all on the government scheme .

Kings Lynn putting Five past the Scum . That third relegation spot could be a three horse race.

Good Point Tonight.
charlie

Postby attic » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:27 pm

Credit needs to be given where due. We played a far more pragmatic game tonight and got a decent draw against another high flying side. Ok, so we were under the cosh in the 2nd half for a fair period but the effort from the players was there for the few to see. Infuriatingly taken free kick at the death in which we could have nicked all 3 points.

Meekings looked like a bad injury. A shame as he adds so much out there. Injured after a needlessly given away ball meant he had to throw himself in for a challenge. Isted also fully deserved man of the match looked very assured out there.

Still, onwards and upwards.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby TalkinStone » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:39 pm

We did lack much of an attacking thread but we did what you have to do to compete at this level, we were solid, organised and worked hard.

The Meekings injury is a blows as for me Okimo has to play left back but that only leaves Langston to partner Cawley, we are really down to the bare bones but the spirit seems to be there.

More tough games to come but we need to improve point by point. Barnet and Weymouth losing tonight and who knows what will happen with Dover. Some clubs may lose points they’ve against Dover which could help us.
TalkinStone

Postby Ronnie » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:17 pm

Ronnie

Postby BornundertheElmslie » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:32 pm

Defensively that was a different level to the majority of our performances this season. Meekings is a proper player and Olowu has improved us at right back. And you can see the impact Meekings had on Cawley who I thought had probably his best game in a Stones shirt tonight. Great point against one of the best sides in the division.

Fascinating interview with Matt Saunders now up on the club’s YouTube channel. Says he was “shocked” at how bad things were when he got back involved with the first team, and that the players had been “neglected”. Championed Maynard for all the work he does behind the scenes and says “there are no free hits in this division. Fans don’t want to hear that”. Says they want to get 3 points from every game and if you don’t have that mentality, it filters down negatively through the players and throughout the club. He and Maynard have had to rebuild the players mentally and tactically. First time I’ve heard his point of view and it was good.
BornundertheElmslie

Postby worruz » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:37 am

Agree about the 'free hits' thing.

Used to drive me crackers that.
I got a colour TV, so I can see, The Knicks play basketball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby Blue Pom » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:41 am

Wow, what are we saying here. If the players were neglected does that mean that Dean Brennan was all about himself or that he just left the player side to others. What others?
Good point by the way. Very solid and if that can be linked to the forwards coming back into fitness then the Stones will be alright.
Blue Pom

Postby timfparks » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:13 am

BornundertheElmslie wrote:Defensively that was a different level to the majority of our performances this season. Meekings is a proper player and Olowu has improved us at right back. And you can see the impact Meekings had on Cawley who I thought had probably his best game in a Stones shirt tonight. Great point against one of the best sides in the division.

Fascinating interview with Matt Saunders now up on the club’s YouTube channel. Says he was “shocked” at how bad things were when he got back involved with the first team, and that the players had been “neglected”. Championed Maynard for all the work he does behind the scenes and says “there are no free hits in this division. Fans don’t want to hear that”. Says they want to get 3 points from every game and if you don’t have that mentality, it filters down negatively through the players and throughout the club. He and Maynard have had to rebuild the players mentally and tactically. First time I’ve heard his point of view and it was good.

Yes, a really enlightening interview and good to hear a different angle. Stuart Maynard is the more introverted and considered one, and Matty Saunders clearly the motivating one - a good balance and one that gives me real belief in the pair going forward. If you saw last night you’d wonder why all the gaps had appeared in our previous games... the defending was on a higher plane and Josh Meekings had a lot to do with that... let’s hope his injury’s not as bad as feared. He was named as Man of the Match by the way, but he couldn’t be interviewed as he was receiving treatment at the end of the game so Harry Isted (also with a perfect performance) stood in.
timfparks

Postby The Guvnor » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:03 am

timfparks wrote:Yes, a really enlightening interview and good to hear a different angle. S

To be fair he absolutely nailed it as far as I'm concerned.

We'll await the comments now that he was being negative or moaning.

Or maybe not.

With all due respect to SM, I'm sure he has his qualities but nothing about him says manager.

Matt Saunders however has the aura and assurance of a manager and maybe thats the way to go if Rory decides to stick with them.
The Guvnor

Next

Return to stonesnet forum