Stones 1 Halifax 2

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Stones 1 Halifax 2

Postby Ronnie » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:35 am

We rode our luck at times, I thought they had a couple of penalty shouts too, but we still gave them a game and didn't capitulate. They deserved their 3 points but we'd have deserved it too had we snatched one at the end. As long as we stay in games we will pick up more points even if unfancied. Injuries still a curse at a bad time.
Ronnie

Postby The Guvnor » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:04 am

Ronnie wrote:Injuries still a curse at a bad time.

Thats another by product of trying to compete with full time athletes. Stretching and straining all the time to keep up will have inevitable consequences. We have become harder to score against and thats a big plus but the next step is to become a bit more progressive without losing that solidity. We have players that can be effective in the final third but they are being held back by players who are allegedly creative types but delivering next to nothing.
The Guvnor

Postby worruz » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:57 pm

Ronnie wrote:I thought they had a couple of penalty shouts too, .

There are penalty shouts and then there is that absolute nailed on SCREAMING mess at the end.
I got a colour TV, so I can see, The Knicks play basketball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby Royal Blue » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:18 pm

In better times, I'm more confident this club can compete and compete well in this league - as part-time or a hybrid model (like Maidenhead). There has been significant division in the MT. COVID. League and funding issues and all in our first season back in the top flight of non-league after 32 years. The injuries are piling up killing us. And then there's furlough.

Really we will need a manager experienced at this level, champing at the bit to work with Wealdstone to come in early doors (in the summer break?) and pull it all together - the right recruitment for this league, physio & rehab, tactics, etc..

This season is messy and fingers crossed we'll get another go, a wiser go and then we can truly see how we fare.

There surely has to be a blueprint for part-time or part-time+ at the top of non league otherwise it's simply a fifth division of ex-pro clubs.

But the next appointment is crucial. In my opinion, BW and DB were good for this club in many ways but both imploded and we need someone settled who could help build us over 3-5 years.
Royal Blue

Postby worruz » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:53 pm

Royal Blue wrote:In better times, I'm more confident this club can compete and compete well in this league - as part-time or a hybrid model (like Maidenhead). There has been significant division in the MT. COVID. League and funding issues and all in our first season back in the top flight of non-league after 32 years. The injuries are piling up killing us. And then there's furlough.

Really we will need a manager experienced at this level, champing at the bit to work with Wealdstone to come in early doors (in the summer break?) and pull it all together - the right recruitment for this league, physio & rehab, tactics, etc..

This season is messy and fingers crossed we'll get another go, a wiser go and then we can truly see how we fare.

There surely has to be a blueprint for part-time or part-time+ at the top of non league otherwise it's simply a fifth division of ex-pro clubs.

But the next appointment is crucial. In my opinion, BW and DB were good for this club in many ways but both imploded and we need someone settled who could help build us over 3-5 years.

Brilliant post.
This is a weird, effed up season. We all know our part time circumstances. I'm fairly certain that wouldnt have altered regardless of Covid but it had no chance of changing or even developing nto something different because of Covid

Whisper it quietly.

We haven't been able to have fans in or people in the bar for 12 (twelve) months now.

It is what it is. Going on about it won't change that.
I got a colour TV, so I can see, The Knicks play basketball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby BornundertheElmslie » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:14 pm

Royal Blue wrote:There surely has to be a blueprint for part-time or part-time+ at the top of non league otherwise it's simply a fifth division of ex-pro clubs.

There is. Sutton United. What they are achieving right now is remarkable. They aren't part time, they aren't full time; they train 3 mornings a week and that allows greater contact time with players, greater time spent on recovery, more opportunities to develop fitness and conditioning. It also helps them to attract the better ex pros dropping out of the game because the transition still feels like full time, and better loan players.

As the club develops, the academy and community programmes are going to play a big part in generating non match day revenues. The Borehamwood blueprint is another to follow, putting ex pros/young players on the academy/community wage bill as coaches paid for out of govt funding (each full time student aged 16-18 is worth over £4,100 funding per year) and their football wages a top up.

I totally agree with Guv, there is no way we will survive at this level if we continue part time. It's relentless and having a big impact on the fitness of the squad. We're asking players to work 5 days a week, play twice a week against full time squads and train in the evenings. The load is massive.
BornundertheElmslie

Postby warren » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:24 pm

Have to say yesterday was really poor. we cant keep playing like this as we will get a pasting. I get why we have to but if we do mid week against a team we have to get 3 points from we will have issues. The contrast in starting with Ross and not is evident yesterday. Our MF is too slow nice NLS players yes but does nothing in NL Level.

Tuesday is a vital game we need to attack more and get 3 points
warren

Postby BornundertheElmslie » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:30 pm

Despite the billy big bollocks attitude from their management, players and fans, you have to give credit where it's due. I thought Halifax were impressive yesterday, their workrate and tempo didn't drop from the first minute until the last. In reality it was one way traffic for the vast majority of the game, they moved us and the ball about really well but probaby suffered from overplaying in and around the 18 yard box rather than being a bit more direct. The positives for us were Dennon's goal and that we weathered the storm pretty well. A few weeks back that display from an opponent would have seen us on the end of a hammering so credit to the management team for making us harder to beat.
BornundertheElmslie

Postby Royal Blue » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:45 pm

Ronnie wrote:
The Guvnor wrote:
TalkinStone wrote:As for free kicks, Green standing over a dead ball is not a sight I want to see too many more times in the future!!

By my reckoning Green last scored a free kick in September 2017 against Bognor and yet he still takes the majority we have in and around the box, and almost without fail they float harmlessly over the bar.

Anyone have any idea why he still takes them ?

One of life's mysteries, it's bizarre

Free kicks - this needed addressing eons ago. They actually pose no threat or give advantage. We line it up but know the outcome - over the bar. Green can take a corner alright but should be nowhere near other dead balls. It doesn’t help when we constantly refer to his ‘wand’ of a left foot.

It’s an amateurish mystery and it’s wrong because it’s fixable. A bit like other WFC folklore we bang on about - Dead Fox Corner.
Last edited by Royal Blue on Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Royal Blue

Postby The Guvnor » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:55 pm

Royal Blue wrote:Green can take a corner all right but should be nowhere near other dead balls.

The solution is actually very simple, and something I used to very good effect. Forget its a free kick and just imagine you are whipping the ball in from a corner into the near post area.

Trust me it works.
The Guvnor

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum