Stuart & Matt named as Management team

For all things Wealdstone FC

Stuart & Matt named as Management team

Postby deadly » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:27 pm

https://www.wealdstone-fc.com/post/mayn ... A-Z4Nzb2wg

'Wealdstone Football Club are delighted to announce that Stuart Maynard and Matt Saunders have been appointed as the club's First Team management until the end of next season, with Stuart as First Team Manager and Matt as Assistant Manager.

*The club have spoken to a number of potential candidates over the past few weeks and have unanimously concluded that Stuart and Matt are the right combination to move the club forward.

Chairman Rory Fitzgerald said of the appointment: "Having seen first hand the qualities and dedication that Stuart and Matt have demonstrated since taking charge of the side in very challenging circumstances, I have huge confidence in this appointment.

"There have been a lot of high quality candidates available, however the impact that Stuart and Matt have had on all aspects of the playing side has given us a real insight into their application and potential and we're looking forward to working with them as we continue to develop the club on and off the pitch."...'

I guess this was done just in case TK decided to come a-calling again.... :lol:

Seriously though, I think that all things considered it is a good move by Rory.
Results and performances have steadily improved, despite a crippling injury list and minimal finance available so far this season under their guidance.
Stability for the remainder of this season and for next.

* Interesting that the club did indeed look at other options.
No doubt there are some fans who feel that we should have brought in someone with a proven track record at this level. :roll: :roll: :roll:
But remember the club are operating under well-known restraints, especially financial ones.
Last edited by deadly on Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 7 times in total.
"..You love bloody Weadstone more than you love me.." answer: YES.
deadly

Re: Stuart & Matt named as Management team

Postby worruz » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:40 pm

Give quiche a chance.
I got a colour TV, so I can see, The Knicks play basketball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby GingerGuy » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:42 pm

Guv's going to blow a fuse...
GingerGuy

Postby Ronnie » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:54 pm

Bold move but one I applaud. Good luck to both of them, definitely worth a punt despite the lack of experience that some will point to. They'll have learnt a lot already and that will only continue, I am surprised that the appointment has been made quite so quickly though.
Ronnie

Postby attic » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:57 pm

Given what an experienced manager at this level is likely to cost, plus the fact they have made an overall positive impact to our play, its no surprise they have been given the role albeit on a short term basis.

My big question for Stuart, Matt and I guess Rory would be where they score when it comes to connections and contacts in the game. I presume both are fairly local so that's a positive. However inexperience may count against them. I guess we will have to find out and see. Its a fair gamble taking on two guys who are inexperienced at the level but then again Barnet went for experience and look at what happened.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby charlie » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:02 pm

Deserved ..

Player Recruitment moving forward.? Produced great team spirit.

Best of Luck.
charlie

Postby TalkinStone » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:10 pm

Agree, whilst clearly a bit of a risk, it feels like a decent move.

It’s right that the board spoke to other candidates, I’d expect nothing less to be honest.

Given how critical the Summer is for recruitment and rebuilding I don’t think the club could wait until the end of the season to settle on a manager. Subject to confirmation on relegation this becomes a long pre season and an exercise is financial damage limitation.

I wish Stuart and Matt all the best and roll on next season in the National League with fans.
TalkinStone

Postby Waltons Left Boot » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:24 pm

Apparently the fiscally super prudent Sandbanks Harry was unavailable along with Niko, Crouchy and IFA Rosie.

But this seems the sensible move so good luck to them. I'd urge them to start enquiring now about loans next season. I realise not everyone loves loanees but I'd like them/us to have a closer relationship with neighbours like Watford, QPR, Arsenal etc. as a couple of decent loanees can make a huge difference as we've seen in the last few years. If we can't go full time then it's a way of getting full-timers into the team.
Waltons Left Boot

Postby worruz » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:30 pm

Waltons Left Boot wrote:Apparently the fiscally super prudent Sandbanks Harry was unavailable along with Niko, Crouchy and IFA Rosie.

But this seems the sensible move so good luck to them. I'd urge them to start enquiring now about loans next season. I realise not everyone loves loanees but I'd like them/us to have a closer relationship with neighbours like Watford, QPR, Arsenal etc. as a couple of decent loanees can make a huge difference as we've seen in the last few years. If we can't go full time then it's a way of getting full-timers into the team.

I don't have an issue with loanees per se.

As you say we've seen some decent ones.

My objection to it is when it becomes obvious its papering over the cracks of poor recruitment in the first place. Getting a load in to cover up how bad the squad is isn't the best way to do it. If its done how you're suggesting it s a good move.
I got a colour TV, so I can see, The Knicks play basketball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby attic » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:46 pm

TalkinStone wrote:
Given how critical the Summer is for recruitment and rebuilding I don’t think the club could wait until the end of the season to settle on a manager. Subject to confirmation on relegation this becomes a long pre season and an exercise is financial damage limitation.

There are essentially two facets for the club to address:

1) Securing safety this season using the players currently available to them. I for one won't accept there is no relegation until it is officially confirmed. You have to say the present management are no doubt getting value out of the squad.

2) Building for next season. Deciding on a pattern of play, knowing who they want to retain out of the present squad, potential targets for recruitment who are going to be part of their vision of how we progress.

Of course part two could depend on the outcome of part one but plans need to be in place for both scenarios.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Next

Return to stonesnet forum