Dover punished

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Dover punished

Postby worruz » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:49 pm

abuzza wrote: I wonder if it's too late for a few other clubs to follow suit?

That's what I was thinking.

I'd actually love it if 7 or 8 clubs decided to do that now as it's a better option.

It would show the decision up.
I got a colour TV, so I can see, The Knicks play basketball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby kenton1 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:49 pm

Totally agree the punishment is far too lenient for what they have done. It makes a total mockery of the League Management Committee if they do not increase the penalties imposed. Perhaps all the other teams, who are fulfilling all their fixtures, should group together and petition the NL to increase its penalty on Dover. Having received a Government Grant and incurred very little costs, having only played 15 games, they are laughing all the way to the bank compared with teams like ourselves. Also, the 12pt penalty is farcical. Even if they had a one point deduction for every unfulfilled fixture this season that would make it a minus 29pt deduction to start with next season. Obviously, they would appeal the penalty, which they still might do for the current penalty, but it would at least give the NL some leeway if the point deduction gets reduced. In the end a totally unsatisfactory penalty for a club taking the complete p..s !
kenton1

Postby The Guvnor » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:07 pm

Like all clubs they received 250k at the start of the season. Now clearly they weren't investing heavily in their squad and lets be generous and say their wage bill was 25k a month which over the 4 months they played amounts to 100k. Fines to be paid 40k which leaves a nice little profit on the season of over 100k. Thank you very much. Whilst the rest are having to beg steal and borrow our way to the end of the season they are sitting comfortably with 100k already in the budget for next year. 12 points is not an insurmountable task to turn around if you are able to put together a decent team and it could be argued the likes of us Kings Lynn and possibly Weymouth will actually be in a weaker position than Dover due to the money its costing us to complete this season. And don't be surprised if they appeal and get the points deduction reduced. Looking at it Dover have actually played a blinder.
The Guvnor

Postby attic » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:32 pm

Don't think we can afford to lose a single point prior to the season starting. Dover are ripe for bottom spot next season. At present the bookies at least probably have us not far behind them. I'd say sensible cost cutting, effective use of the furlough system is the way forward for us.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby 61663 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:44 pm

The Guvnor wrote: Looking at it Dover have actually played a blinder.

From a financial perspective they may well have done, particularly as it’s odds on they will successfully appeal and get their soft punishment(s) diluted even further, when in fact, the sanctions should be doubled on the basis of ‘natural justice’..... one wonders what the remit / terms of reference are for an appeal panel .... will they have access to all facts ie financials which underpinned Dover’s spurious shenanigans and publish them in the public domain as evidence to back up their decision?

However tempting it is to ‘throw a Dover’ for very understandable reasons, it would do us - as it certainly has done to the Men of K.nt - possibly not irreparable but certainly serious ‘reputational’ damage........definitively in the short term and probably for much longer .... Dover will ultimately have even fewer friends in all three divisions of the NL.... Do we want to join them as a ‘pariah’ club?
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an Ill opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”

Postby worruz » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:50 pm

Dover have been all over social media today drumming up sympathy and pleading poverty.

Theyre claiming they are going to take the league to court as they haven't got 40 grand for the fine.

However they appear to have money for lawyers???? :roll:
I got a colour TV, so I can see, The Knicks play basketball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby 61663 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:16 pm

Parmenter now refusing to pay the fine ... ‘they know we haven’t got the money’ ...
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an Ill opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”

Postby The Guvnor » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:12 pm

Perhaps the subject heading should be changed to " Dover not punished ".
61663 wrote:Do we want to join them as a ‘pariah’ club?

Well nobody likes us anyway so what have we got to lose.

I still see each passing week as money pissed away for nothing, or more accurately probably money we haven't got being pissed away.

And really the Dover chairman has exactly the right approach to this mess, he's looking after the club and couldn't give a flying toss what the league think or anyone else for that matter.

And it also has to be said the NL is treading on very thin ice by dishing out punishments when they themselves have created this dogs dinner through their own incompetence.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Dover got off scot free.
The Guvnor

Postby Royal Blue » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:51 pm

Dover presumably projected they wouldn’t have enough money to complete the season BCD, so took down the nets the very moment the funding fiasco became known. Now the league want to fine them £40k of money they say they haven’t got.

Perhaps some don’t believe Dover. Who know what the truth is. But if they are being truthful, they should not be punished.

If it was us and we were genuinely insolvent, we wouldn’t like the punishment either.

We should probably have done the same but somehow, we seem to be able to manage.

The highlight of the season has been the work on the ground, which is truly superb. I watched the excellent YouTube video of The Vale in 2008 - the change is remarkable. Huge well done to all those involved.
Royal Blue

Postby abuzza » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:43 am

Parmenter is obviously a clever operator and you can bet your life he studied the rules about failing to fulfil fixtures very carefully before taking Dover down the road they chose, especially the bit about 'exceptional circumstances' which I fear could yet hand them a free pardon. If I was the suspicious sort I would speculate there was some kind of stitch-up between league and club by which Dover accepted what is a very lenient punishment in return for not kicking up a fuss which can only shine a light on the league's monumental incompetence which has contributed to the mess. However, if they now say they can't/won't pay the fine that doesn't appear to be the case. That said, the other 22 clubs have spent, and in some cases borrowed, hundreds of thousands of pounds in order to respect the democratic verdict and maintain the integrity of the competition so far as possible, even those like ourselves that voted for curtailment. If Dover escape with a £40k fine they really have escaped. A 12 point deduction may or may not see them relegated next year but it's hardly the end of the world. As things stand Dover are the winners and everyone else looks like idiots.
abuzza

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum