Solihull Moors Away Lost again. 0-3.

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Solihull Moors Away Lost again. 0-3.

Postby Ronnie » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:23 am

My photos from last night's defeat

https://eglitephotos.smugmug.com/2020-2 ... Wealdstone

Could have been so different had Dennon buried the one on one.....
Ronnie

Postby The Guvnor » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:52 am

Ronnie wrote:Could have been so different had Dennon buried the one on one.....

But thats what poor teams do, miss chances and let in soft goals.
The Guvnor

Postby abuzza » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:48 am

I don't envy the board having to make tough decisions and tread a fine line between saving money and remaining credible on the field and I absolutely trust them to make those decisions. Got to say though, last night, for the first time, I simply lost interest. The players are just going through the motions, the loan signings have their own agendas, there's no hint of competitiveness and not a single player that looks like they think any of it matters.
abuzza

Postby worruz » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:55 am

abuzza wrote:there's no hint of competitiveness and not a single player that looks like they think any of it matters.

How do we change that then, because whether we like it or not we will still have some of them next season and I don't think you can turn it off and on like a tap.

I think we're heading for a major fall.
I got a colour TV, so I can see, The Knicks play basketball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby 61663 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:55 am

Ronnie wrote: Could have been so different had Dennon buried the one on one.....

Time to move on from these metaphysical musings ..... ultimately they are just a diversion / distraction from addressing an extremely pressing reality....
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an Ill opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”

Postby timfparks » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:00 am

The Guvnor wrote:The good thing about football is you reach a point where things get so bad they can only get better and quite often things can change very quickly. However for change to happen there has to be an acceptance that what you have is not fit for purpose. I've given up on this team, they've become unwatchable so I didn't see last nights game but I've seen enough recently to know what the issues are. A few mentions on here about a coach passing judgement but really long standing fans who've watched football all their life should know the difference between a good and bad player. Maybe the finer tactical points may pass them by but you should be able to pinpoint a player who gives it away all the time, a player who is always a yard behind the play or a goalkeeper who seems to unsettle the whole back four. Football is all about players, forget formations and styles of play, none of them work unless you have the the players and we don't. It all goes back to pre season, the evidence was there in abundance that we were way off the pace. Retained far too many of last seasons squad, recruited poorly, physically poorly prepared and outplayed by 4 NLS sides at home. For me the alarm bells were ringing loud and clear but you still hear people saying its only pre season, we'll be fine. Maybe comments like that are a typical fans view, perhaps they don't get it if they haven't played or coached at a decent level but you dismiss pre season at your peril. The only surprise for me was how we won 5 games in a row but I guess a bit of momentum and early season optimism saw us through. However that won't be happening again, the players now know themselves they aren't good enough and once you get to that stage you are beaten before you even get on the pitch which is what you are seeing now. Obviously the solution is a massive turn around of the playing squad but the biggest question right now is do we have the right management team to implement that. For me the answer is a big no. The minute DB left the board should have realised this is not a job for a novice management team and its really a race against time to get us up to speed for August. Time we are currently wasting in my opinion. Its one thing giving the job to inexperienced personnel but they were both instrumental in the previous management regime and as such guilty by association for the mess we are in. As such I just can't see that makes them the best people to get us out of it. Its really not one of them where give them time and we'll see, its a mistake made by the board and it will require the board to resolve it. There may have been financial reasons why the appointment was made and that would be understandable but if it was a purely football decision then I'm at a loss. Anyway bottom line its a results business and if we carry on losing they won't be in the job for long.

That’s a great post Guv. Glad you’re coming on to co commentate for a game before the end of this wretched season!
I have to say that yes, the confidence is gone and if you play at any level you are beaten once you can’t look around and say: we’ve got the guys to win our personal battles and outplay the opposition. If I was in this Stones side now I’d be thinking : okay, on paper and ability and reputation we have a strong back four; one paced in midfield and the lack of any presence up front. Even had Dennon scored there was no buzz about our play; nobody trying to overload in ANY area of the pitch, let alone the wide areas where we were dangerous last season.
First we have to get the spine right and last year we had Connor stevens, Billy Clifford and Ross. We have to get somewhere towards an approximation of that class and physical presence to make any headway next season. You can’t just have bit part players in those crucial areas. The only hope I saw last night, before kick off was playing Craig Fasanmade in an alan cordice role up front, playing on the shoulders of the last man and feeding off some insightful passes. But we had neither the insight nor the personnel. I know SM and MS were desperately angry last night at the errors that cost us but, as Gordon says, that’s what poor teams do.
So let’s just imagine we can find a management team experienced at this national league level. They would want to bring in better players on better contracts and they would blow our budget- and some. A very dangerous game should injuries occur; another crisis of confidence and possibly relegation with a stack load of debt. Or do we trust in Stu and Matt to work magic with a new raft of hungry players from a lower level plus a couple of marquee signings to provide that spine?
Those are our options.
timfparks

Postby 61663 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:25 am

timfparks wrote: So let’s just imagine we can find a management team experienced at this national league level. They would want to bring in better players on better contracts and they would blow our budget- and some. A very dangerous game should injuries occur; another crisis of confidence and possibly relegation with a stack load of debt. Or do we trust in Stu and Matt to work magic with a new raft of hungry players from a lower level plus a couple of marquee signings to provide that spine?
Those are our options.

No they’re not ‘our options’ - it’s just another TINA defence of doing nothing and hope for ‘some magic’......

We can recruit an experienced management team who understand and implicitly accept the financial parameters / ‘restrictions’ in which this club operates. The bald assertion that a new mangt. team would ‘blow the budget’ assumes that the Chairman/ Board will automatically be handing over the proverbial pre-signed cheque book to the new team as a key component of their contract.

Perhaps, next Monday, we should get the team to come out to a medley of (maintaining the) Status Quo lesser known tracks/singles:

‘I (who have nothing’ followed by ‘(We ain’t got) nothin’ yet’; and rounded off (possibly) by ‘Almost but not quite there’ (all released under original name of group The Spectres)
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an Ill opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”

Postby The Guvnor » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:17 pm

Since SM and MS took over in early February we've conceded 4 on the road 4 times and 3 last night. That is totally unacceptable and cannot be allowed to continue. Clearly we don't have the players but even more worrying is that as soon as we go a goal behind away from home we just fold. The way things are going our club flag will need to be changed to a plain White one. The majority of fans can accept players who are not quite good enough but can see some fight and desire. But when you see a lack of effort and heart then I see that as an affront to the fans who have as usual gone beyond the norm to bolster the playing budget and given their time and no little effort to bring the ground up to standard.

As a fanbase I think we are pretty realistic in what we are and what our level is, we don't expect the World but at the same time we don't expect to be short changed to the extent that we are right now.

One for our chairman to sort out, and I will reiterate I think Rory and the board have done a fantastic job in steadying the ship and taking us forward as a club and they too deserve to see a much better product on the pitch. If they felt SM and MS were worthy of a chance then fine, they have to make these decisions, whether we agree or not. But I think that decision already needs to be looked at because we are just going backwards.
The Guvnor

Postby attic » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:47 pm

61663 wrote:
timfparks wrote: So let’s just imagine we can find a management team experienced at this national league level. They would want to bring in better players on better contracts and they would blow our budget- and some. A very dangerous game should injuries occur; another crisis of confidence and possibly relegation with a stack load of debt. Or do we trust in Stu and Matt to work magic with a new raft of hungry players from a lower level plus a couple of marquee signings to provide that spine?
Those are our options.

No they’re not ‘our options’ - it’s just another TINA defence of doing nothing and hope for ‘some magic’......

We can recruit an experienced management team who understand and implicitly accept the financial parameters / ‘restrictions’ in which this club operates. The bald assertion that a new mangt. team would ‘blow the budget’ assumes that the Chairman/ Board will automatically be handing over the proverbial pre-signed cheque book to the new team as a key component of their contract.

Perhaps, next Monday, we should get the team to come out to a medley of (maintaining the) Status Quo lesser known tracks/singles:

‘I (who have nothing’ followed by ‘(We ain’t got) nothin’ yet’; and rounded off (possibly) by ‘Almost but not quite there’ (all released under original name of group The Spectres)

Maidenhead. Bromley. Sutton. Borehamwood.....erm Solihull.

It is possible to stay and even thrive at this level. The seemingly defeatist attitude that we just need cross our fingers, KTF and rely on our supporters to be the difference next season is setting up for utter failure.

Big step up and we will need to take the odd risk if we want to see the kind of investment that is perpetually reserved for others. Of course some will point to the PM era of being one we want to avoid repeating. Being brutally honest, we've acquired Rory (courtesy of recommendation from a supporter?) who all things considered has been a major asset to the club. This aside...who else is there that has come aboard since the Ryman days?? Is is realistic of fair to expect those currently involved to be able to collectively oversees the growth of a NL club? The pressure is now immense to move forward. The ground improvements have been a feather in the cap of the present regime. Kudos to the board here. However when it comes to raising the kind of capital required to compete at this level we are probably, with all best efforts, falling short at present. This includes being able to train on a hybrid model too.

Doesn't excuse some of the recent performances in which we barely looked a CS side, but it's food for thought as we (attempt) to move forward.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Ronnie » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:49 pm

The plain fact at the moment is that we're not good enough. Once again well beaten by a side that were easily able to step up the gears when required, we just haven't got that in us at the moment.

Nonetheless I don't necessarily agree that the players don't care or are going through the motions.

I have been lucky (some may say the opposite) to be pitch side for a lot of matches. Looking through a lens you don't see the game the same way as you tend to be focusing on a shot or a player. However I do hear, see and feel a lot that wouldn't be picked up on the stream. That first goal last night was a hammer blow for the players that had fought an even match up to that point, I know from my own Sunday morning experience what that can be like with Fingers playing in goal. There is clearly frustration from the better players when they feel let down by a bad or delayed pass or a catastrophic ricket, and that sense and demonstration of frustration is increasing, unhealthily so I'd say. Nonetheless we should react better to adverse situations, and sadly the 2nd goal just after the break well and truly put paid to that, even though there was plenty of time left to salvage something.
Ronnie

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum