NATIONAL LEAGUE NEXT SEASON

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: NATIONAL LEAGUE NEXT SEASON

Postby attic » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:25 pm

So we won't be going to either Hartlepool or Torquay next season. Two of the more attractive trips imo although we WILL be going to Notts County of which is probably the stand out fixture.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby worruz » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:21 pm

BillyByrneFan wrote:My Sunday team went to Nottingham on 4 or 5 end of season tours. I can confirm it was easier to score up there than it was to hit the old barn door. There was no loyalty to friends, it was dog eat dog, to coin a phrase, as in the main they were good looking girls.

How did you get there?

Horse and cart?

:lol: ;)
I got a colour TV, so I can see, The Knicks play basketball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby BillyByrneFan » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:21 pm

worruz wrote:
BillyByrneFan wrote:My Sunday team went to Nottingham on 4 or 5 end of season tours. I can confirm it was easier to score up there than it was to hit the old barn door. There was no loyalty to friends, it was dog eat dog, to coin a phrase, as in the main they were good looking girls.

How did you get there?

Horse and cart?

:lol: ;)

Cheeky young pup! It was the 1970s, not the 1870s.
BillyByrneFan

Postby attic » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:34 pm

Dover appeal failed and fined/docked the full amount then. Surely makes them relegation favourites for many reasons.

So at present us and Kings Lynn are probably the other bookies favourite for the drop next season.

Weymouth, Woking and Altrincham have apparently gone FT/hybrid.

We're possibly relying on a total cock up from a BELT (Barnet likely) or a few financial implosions.

Or we could just procure brilliantly and see SM become the next GB.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Royal Blue » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:04 pm

Altrincham postpone switch to full-time or hybrid. So it's Dover, Wealdstone and Altrincham PT. Woking & Kings Lynn go full-time, Weymouth, hybrid.

https://twitter.com/Inter_Alty1977/stat ... 7951961088
Royal Blue

Postby The Guvnor » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:15 am

Royal Blue wrote:Altrincham postpone switch to full-time or hybrid. So it's Dover, Wealdstone and Altrincham PT. Woking & Kings Lynn go full-time, Weymouth, hybrid.

That is my biggest concern going into the new season. The standard of player in lets say the bottom 6-8 clubs will not vary a great deal but those that are full time will have a big advantage. Increased fitness obviously comes into it, but just as important is the recovery time after games and being able to work on set plays/patterns of play which as we all know is very important at every level of the game. And not being lumbered with a full time job alongside your football activities. We will of course have full time players from league sides and this will help and I do believe it was mentioned we would have an additional daytime training session thrown in this year. I see that day as massively important and personally part of my recruitment strategy would be getting in players who are able to fit that into their day. Hopefully a lot of lessons have been learnt from last season, part time players trying to keep up with full timers week in week out just leads to numerous injuries as was seen. If we can't go full time then we have to be exploring every avenue we can to bridge the gap.
The Guvnor

Postby Royal Blue » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:12 am

Getting closer and closer to a professional league and therefore not ‘non-league’. Grimsby and Southend add to that sense. Clubs want to compete so I guess are looking at what they can do to narrow the gap. The 14-15 wins required to stay in this division would now be extraordinary.
Royal Blue

Postby timfparks » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:14 am

I agree - it’s extraordinary that Wealdstone are playing at this rarefied level. But this club have never shirked a challenge and the only time in the last 50-odd years that we’ve admitted to ‘treading water’ (after winning the double) we pretty much drowned.
So now we have to find a way. The players will be coming. We have to use our intelligence to make up for the lack of financial clout - but maybe even that will arrive one day if we continue to grow our remarkable club
timfparks

Postby 61663 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:29 pm

It’s still just under seven weeks to the start of the season . But if the underlying mindset of the club in its quest to consolidate its place in the NL remains as one of ‘wonderment’ for being at this level, and then also describing the need to even survive (which I agree is the realistic aim / expectation for 21-22) by gaining the required number of wins as ‘extraordinary’, then we are surely doomed to fail again in a similar fashion like we did in the ‘None’ season.

We need instead a policy to recruit players suited to the task of being able to frustrate FT opposition. It will mean expectations of free flowing football being on offer - as was the case in 2019-20 - have to be put on hold. Just because we will inevitably be (one of) the bookies’ favourites to be relegated, it does not mean we should persist with this psychology of ‘Wealdstone PT minnows’ before a ball has even been kicked.

More to the point ….. can we be confident that the current MT have been preparing a game plan to achieve this basic aim on the pitch? …have they identified a sufficient number of players who are available and capable of fitting in with this (less adventurous/ more robust) style of play? There are PT players out there who can last 90 minutes toe-to-toe with FT opposition. I don’t expect much ‘pretty stuff’ this year. But I do expect to see a set of players prepared to battle for each other every game to the final whistle, which far too often last season was a rare event.

Otherwise 2021-22 will become a fleeting ‘here today, gone today’ experience for fans ….
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an Ill opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”

Postby worruz » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:14 pm

61663 wrote:It’s still just under seven weeks to the start of the season . But if the underlying mindset of the club in its quest to consolidate its place in the NL remains as one of ‘wonderment’ for being at this level, and then also describing the need to even survive (which I agree is the realistic aim / expectation for 21-22) by gaining the required number of wins as ‘extraordinary’, then we are surely doomed to fail again in a similar fashion like we did in the ‘None’ season.

We need instead a policy to recruit players suited to the task of being able to frustrate FT opposition. It will mean expectations of free flowing football being on offer - as was the case in 2019-20 - have to be put on hold. Just because we will inevitably be (one of) the bookies’ favourites to be relegated, it does not mean we should persist with this psychology of ‘Wealdstone PT minnows’ before a ball has even been kicked.

More to the point ….. can we be confident that the current MT have been preparing a game plan to achieve this basic aim on the pitch? …have they identified a sufficient number of players who are available and capable of fitting in with this (less adventurous/ more robust) style of play? There are PT players out there who can last 90 minutes toe-to-toe with FT opposition. I don’t expect much ‘pretty stuff’ this year. But I do expect to see a set of players prepared to battle for each other every game to the final whistle, which far too often last season was a rare event.

Otherwise 2021-22 will become a fleeting ‘here today, gone today’ experience for fans ….

Yes, agree with all of this.
I got a colour TV, so I can see, The Knicks play basketball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum