Dixie Hale RIP

For all things Wealdstone FC

Dixie Hale RIP

Postby Blue Pom » Fri May 14, 2021 1:40 am

Have I got this wrong. Dixie Hale has just died. Didn't he play for the Stones in the 70's? Just can't remember him. Help someone!
Blue Pom

Re: Dixie Hale RIP

Postby charlie » Fri May 14, 2021 6:36 am

He did join initially a team of passed it old pros I think 1970/71 ? Poor team but he was one of the stand outs.

We had ex Spurs double winners Cliff Jones in the team and then fellow team mate Terry Dyson joined later, who scored a hat trick when Spurs beat Athletic Madrid in European Cup Winners Cup Final.

So Spuds did win something ... Your going off topic .. Dixie Hale...." He s here ,here s there, he s every F@@@@ng where!!"
charlie

Postby timfparks » Fri May 14, 2021 9:58 am

Wrote a piece about him in the Gloucester programme a few months ago cos he scored both goals as we beat them 2-1 in Jan 1972. He outshone Bobby Charlton in the Watford - Man Utd cup tie in 1969 when United were European champions and the Horns got a 1-1 at old Trafford and I saw the replay, which they lost 2-0 to a couple of Denis Law goals. But what a coup to sign Dixie a couple of years later... yes his legs were going but he was still plenty good enough for the southern league. He was loved a Workington where he made his name ... I tried to track him down a few years ago but he was supposedly in a South Wales nursing home and they never replied. RIP Dixie. And yes, I remember that chant too Charlie
timfparks

Postby kenton1 » Fri May 14, 2021 10:54 am

Really nice guy. Fondest memory was when a mate and I had seen us loose 2-1 at Tonbridge in December 1972 and we were waiting for the train back to London. We got really excited to see him walking onto the platform with his son, but even more amazed when he came up to us to see what we thought of the game ! We had no idea how he recognised us, but the trip back to London was full of funny stories about his time at Watford and the fact his son supported Man City. A true memory of a great man. RIP Dixie
kenton1

Return to stonesnet forum