Stones v Solihull Moors Saturday 22nd May

For all things Wealdstone FC

Re: Stones v Solihull Moors Saturday 22nd May

Postby Stoney Ground » Mon May 24, 2021 10:24 am

spire wrote:I was standing next to a bloke in a Brighton FC coat on Saturday. When I asked who he was watching he wouldn't say, only that it was a Wealdstone player.

He'd been at Brighton for ten years and Orient about the same before that.

"Harry Kane couldn't hit a barn door back then, but his movement was superb".

I suggested he was watching Mendy, but he said he won't go any higher as he is too one footed.

This, of course, could be a bluff or might just be a bit of a nutter.

He certainly knew Hughes and Parish.

An odd experience.

Did you ask him if he’d ever seen Messi or Bale play.
Stoney Ground

Postby Stoney Ground » Mon May 24, 2021 10:38 am

worruz wrote:
Stoney Ground wrote:well Stuart was probably contracted to the end of this season so had to be offered more than he was currently on.

Why did he 'have' to be offered more than he was on.

Surely we could have said to him that he was in charge until the end of the season and if he proved himself then he'd be in pole position to be offered the job full time?

We could have done that, but as it was clear that the budget was being withdrawn and players furloughed he would be in a no win situation. By offering an extra years contract surely that is a carrot to get the deal done.

The board would have had to take in to account if SM had not taken the job, surely we would have then had to offer a contract to the end of next season to any new manager. They would have had to work under the same constraints as have hampered the current management team with the same group of players or loans that they could get in on no cost.
Stoney Ground

Postby worruz » Mon May 24, 2021 10:58 am

Stoney Ground wrote:We could have done that, but as it was clear that the budget was being withdrawn and players furloughed he would be in a no win situation.

I think we're dwelling a bit much on the players being furloughed.

We could have still put up a better showing than we have done, even without the players who were furloughed.
I got a colour TV, so I can see, The Knicks play basketball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby Stoney Ground » Mon May 24, 2021 11:06 am

worruz wrote:
Stoney Ground wrote:We could have done that, but as it was clear that the budget was being withdrawn and players furloughed he would be in a no win situation.

I think we're dwelling a bit much on the players being furloughed.

We could have still put up a better showing than we have done, even without the players who were furloughed.

Agree the players could have put up a better showing alas some aren’t good enough and some it seems it doesn’t matter if we lose or not.

Don’t get me wrong I think the management team have made mistakes, but why aren’t some senior players taking responsibility and flak.

Not sure any are worth keeping to be honest but maybe Mendy, Dyer, Okimo, Charles and Parish.
Stoney Ground

Postby attic » Mon May 24, 2021 12:04 pm

abuzza wrote:
Those of you saying we need an experienced manager at this level with a track record of success... get real. Who on earth in that category would take the job knowing the constraints they'll have to work within, and anyway, the personal financial demands of this imaginary successful manager would just deplete the playing budget further.

I don't think anyone is expecting a 'big name' to come forward and that we will have to more or less take a chance on someone. It worked for Aldershot who went with the inexperienced Danny Searle. Dare I say we have taken the same approach with SM and MS. They will sink or swim with their recruitment this summer imo.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby worruz » Mon May 24, 2021 1:08 pm

Stoney Ground wrote:Don’t get me wrong I think the management team have made mistakes, but why aren’t some senior players taking responsibility and flak.

If you want to criticise the players you wont find any argument from me.
I think they've been gutless at times this season. Being two nil down to Dagenham after 5 minutes isn't particularly inspiring.

worruz

Postby worruz » Mon May 24, 2021 1:34 pm

abuzza wrote:Well I really enjoyed being back and I certainly got back in the groove. I even got warned about my language by a steward which led to a slightly surreal argument between me and several others and the steward - who was unlikely to win this one. And I hadn't even had a drink. Hope this isn't indicative of the new sterile big time atmosphere that comes with our elevated status. The football, of course, was abysmal.

Was this why security were called in the 2nd half?

worruz

Postby abuzza » Mon May 24, 2021 2:13 pm

Was this why security were called in the 2nd half?

There was a certain amount of' dissent' expressed when their keeper feigned injury too get Hughes booked and the fat little referee who was miles away fell for it. No worse than the usual Wealdstone banter. Somebody was hauled out, warned, and let back in. That wasn't me! But one of the stewards insisted on going into a 'there's kids here..' sort of lecture and was put straight by a few people. I guess it's the age old argument about what is and isn't acceptable. Every so often I do boil over at a match, it's part of what I go for.
abuzza

Postby worruz » Mon May 24, 2021 6:42 pm

BillyByrneFan wrote:It was hard to believe that our fans had been starved of football all season. I think only 25% were there to watch the game, the rest just turned up for a catch-up and chat with their mates. On a day when the team needed to hear support from the terraces, all they got was the general white noise of chatter. I know numbers were down and we were (in the main) well spread out, there seemed little interest in what was going on, on the pitch. I felt we competed and tried but were outdone, certainly by the 1st two goals, by their speed of thought and limb. Whereas when we had possession it got bogged down when we had to move the ball quicker. As we all know it's a difference in confidence, not just ability or size.

I get your point, but it's hard for fans to give their all when you know how up against it you constantly are.

worruz

Postby Ronnie » Mon May 24, 2021 6:56 pm

Rather belatedly my snaps from Saturday - single shots do make it look like Charlee deserved his yellow, I hate the way every minor challenge can get a yellow

https://eglitephotos.smugmug.com/2020-2 ... v-Solihull
Ronnie

PreviousNext

Return to stonesnet forum