Sutton United win the NL

For all things Wealdstone FC

Sutton United win the NL

Postby attic » Sun May 23, 2021 2:49 pm

Have to say well done to them. A ryman club ten years ago but now in the EFL. I can imagine the BELTS will be fuming. Sutton are very much a non league club still but have gained maximum value from their budget. Was rumoured to be closer to ours than some of the BELTS.

Just proves what you can achieve when the club is united, has a clear pattern of play and knows what you require at this level. Yes a stable freehold gives them a big advantage over us, but if we were to find a ground with a longer term lease then if they can then do it....what's to stop us?

I'm sure some will come up with 1000 reasons as to why we can't progress, even if we were given Wembley stadium for free.

Believe......
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
User avatar
attic
 
Posts: 8801
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Sutton United win the NL

Postby The Guvnor » Sun May 23, 2021 3:52 pm

attic wrote:Have to say well done to them. A ryman club ten years ago but now in the EFL. I can imagine the BELTS will be fuming. Sutton are very much a non league club still but have gained maximum value from their budget. Was rumoured to be closer to ours than some of the BELTS.

Just proves what you can achieve when the club is united, has a clear pattern of play and knows what you require at this level. Yes a stable freehold gives them a big advantage over us, but if we were to find a ground with a longer term lease then if they can then do it....what's to stop us?

I'm sure some will come up with 1000 reasons as to why we can't progress, even if we were given Wembley stadium for free.

Believe......


Certainly a similar sized club to us but as you say owning their own ground with a 4g pitch and the income it provides is what separates us.

I guess as well they had a positive approach to life in the NL as opposed to wallowing in self pity and searching for reasons/excuses as to why they couldn't survive at that level.
The Guvnor
 
Posts: 3826
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Sutton United win the NL

Postby Stoney Ground » Sun May 23, 2021 4:28 pm

The Guvnor wrote:
attic wrote:Have to say well done to them. A ryman club ten years ago but now in the EFL. I can imagine the BELTS will be fuming. Sutton are very much a non league club still but have gained maximum value from their budget. Was rumoured to be closer to ours than some of the BELTS.

Just proves what you can achieve when the club is united, has a clear pattern of play and knows what you require at this level. Yes a stable freehold gives them a big advantage over us, but if we were to find a ground with a longer term lease then if they can then do it....what's to stop us?

I'm sure some will come up with 1000 reasons as to why we can't progress, even if we were given Wembley stadium for free.

Believe......


Certainly a similar sized club to us but as you say owning their own ground with a 4g pitch and the income it provides is what separates us.

I guess as well they had a positive approach to life in the NL as opposed to wallowing in self pity and searching for reasons/excuses as to why they couldn't survive at that level.


And they give the vacant managers position to their assistant.
Stoney Ground
 
Posts: 2572
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:01 am

Re: Sutton United win the NL

Postby The Guvnor » Sun May 23, 2021 6:10 pm

Stoney Ground wrote:And they give the vacant managers position to their assistant.


Which would be a reasonable argument if SM had just been appointed and we hadn't played any games.

However we are 4 months in and if you can bear it have a look at our results since then.


Players at his disposal in that period

===================================

NLS Championship winning team
===============================

Harry Isted
Jacob Mendy
Connor Smith
Danny Green
Jerome Okimo
Michael Phillips
Miche Efete and Moses Emanuel - for a short period
Dennon Lewis


New Players signed this season and therefore deemed good enough for NL level
======================================================================

Dan Wishart - very experienced at NL and above
Jack Cawley - Best centre half on Canvey island
Danny Parish - scored consistently early on this season so not out of his depth
Charlie Hughes - totally out of his depth
Alex Dyer - Very experienced, high quality performer

Players in on loan
================

Shelvey - Notts Forest - not bad

Harbottle - Notts Forest - Very good defender for me

Olowu - Arsenal - Poor right back but ok at centre half


Obviously a few others here and there.

When you break it down like that questions really need to be asked. Conceding 4 is about par, we've let in 5, 6 and 7 at home in a very short space of time. Its an absolute joke and if people are happy being the laughing stock of the league then so be it but I'm not taking this lying down.

We need to get our pride back because at the moment we don't have any.
The Guvnor
 
Posts: 3826
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Sutton United win the NL

Postby ALAN COUCH » Sun May 23, 2021 6:16 pm

And were also an Athenian League club the first season after the war 1945/6.
ALAN COUCH
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 2:36 pm

Re: Sutton United win the NL

Postby worruz » Mon May 24, 2021 11:00 am

The Guvnor wrote:
Stoney Ground wrote:And they give the vacant managers position to their assistant.


Which would be a reasonable argument if SM had just been appointed and we hadn't played any games.

However we are 4 months in and if you can bear it have a look at our results since then.


Players at his disposal in that period

===================================

NLS Championship winning team
===============================

Harry Isted
Jacob Mendy
Connor Smith
Danny Green
Jerome Okimo
Michael Phillips
Miche Efete and Moses Emanuel - for a short period
Dennon Lewis


New Players signed this season and therefore deemed good enough for NL level
======================================================================

Dan Wishart - very experienced at NL and above
Jack Cawley - Best centre half on Canvey island
Danny Parish - scored consistently early on this season so not out of his depth
Charlie Hughes - totally out of his depth
Alex Dyer - Very experienced, high quality performer

Players in on loan
================

Shelvey - Notts Forest - not bad

Harbottle - Notts Forest - Very good defender for me

Olowu - Arsenal - Poor right back but ok at centre half


Obviously a few others here and there.

When you break it down like that questions really need to be asked. Conceding 4 is about par, we've let in 5, 6 and 7 at home in a very short space of time. Its an absolute joke and if people are happy being the laughing stock of the league then so be it but I'm not taking this lying down.

We need to get our pride back because at the moment we don't have any.


Just caught up with this thread.

Agree with every word.
I got a colour TV, so I can see, The Knicks play basketball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz
 
Posts: 2463
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: Sutton United win the NL

Postby John Young » Tue May 25, 2021 6:34 am

Good luck to Sutton who will have a busy time now taking up their plastic pitch and laying a grass one. This will cost them minimum £500k and they now will lose all the income from teams playing and training on said plastic pitch. Promotion in this case is going to cost a huge amount of income.it will be interesting to see how they fair next season because they will be the have nots in Div 2 financially the paupers , just like we are in this division. Target next season for both clubs is survival and maybe a cup run for finances anything else is dreamland.
John Young
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:31 pm

Re: Sutton United win the NL

Postby BillyByrneFan » Tue May 25, 2021 11:18 am

John Young wrote:Good luck to Sutton who will have a busy time now taking up their plastic pitch and laying a grass one. This will cost them minimum £500k and they now will lose all the income from teams playing and training on said plastic pitch. Promotion in this case is going to cost a huge amount of income.it will be interesting to see how they fair next season because they will be the have nots in Div 2 financially the paupers , just like we are in this division. Target next season for both clubs is survival and maybe a cup run for finances anything else is dreamland.

In the same boat as Harrogate this season.
BillyByrneFan
 
Posts: 1158
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:09 am

Re: Sutton United win the NL

Postby Windermere Bore » Sat May 29, 2021 2:33 pm

Throwing a game against Barnet is a serious offence :ugeek:
Being the final game and sealing the title a few days earlier is no excuse :x
Should be denied promotion :evil:
Windermere Bore
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:17 am

Re: Sutton United win the NL

Postby worruz » Sat May 29, 2021 2:43 pm

Windermere Bore wrote:Should be denied promotion :evil:


No, I want them up.

And I'm hoping Bromley win the play offs, although it's a long shot.

I want a crack at the likes of Hartlepool, Notts County, Chesterfield etc at their places with our fans behind us.
I got a colour TV, so I can see, The Knicks play basketball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz
 
Posts: 2463
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 12:49 pm

Next

Return to stonesnet forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 23 guests