2021-22 Squad arrivals, departures, retentions, rumours etc

For all things Wealdstone FC

2021-22 Squad arrivals, departures, retentions, rumours etc

Postby attic » Sat May 29, 2021 8:26 pm

So the hard work starts now. Recruitment always important but this coming season its absolutely paramount we get this right. Ditto the departures and retentions.

Nothing confirmed so far but Hampton's social media seems to suggest Gondoh is heading back there, possibly on a contract. Not seen anything of Smith or Green recently and its possible both have been released?

Efete, Ross LF, Moses and Slew all furloughed but I'm struggling to see any of them being retained for a variety of reasons.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Re: 2021-22 Squad arrivals, departures, retentions, rumours etc

Postby Royal Blue » Sat May 29, 2021 11:32 pm

Quite an unenviable task - putting together a scratch side from the ashes of this 20/21.

However, like a lot of aspects of life, knowing clearly what you DON'T want or doesn't fit does provide a path. But if we clearout, our budget will mean we'll have to get very busy and take the odd risk.

But hopefully not a slew (no pun intended) of players who inexplicably play no real role despite being signed. Value is and will be important and that didn't seem to be the case last season. It can't be easy managing that.

So recruitment - it will be tough and we need a bit of luck/goodwill from our contacts too. I'm afraid it will and can only be judged on the matchday squad on Aug 2- we probably don't have the budget to do it any other way.

Anything else is a bonus.
Royal Blue

Postby The Guvnor » Sun May 30, 2021 8:39 am

From those who have played this season the only player who is deserving of another contract is Mendy. Any suggestions that anyone else is worthy of one is a judgement based on sentiment rather than actual performance. I believe Dennon is on a 2 year deal so will still be around unless someone takes him off our hands but he definitely fits into the category that at NL level he promises much but delivers very little. A hell of a lot of dead wood in our squad which requires a massive clear out. As I said a week ago how the current MT deal with the retention and rebuild concerns me greatly but I might be pleasantly surprised. One way or another it will be resolved, either they get it right or 6/8 weeks into next season someone else will be given the task but of course it will be a lot harder then. Fingers crossed.
The Guvnor

Postby Not Happy » Sun May 30, 2021 8:59 am

Harbottle and Stevens would surely be worthy of a long term loan or contract? Charles and Dyer on the maybe list although both are very keen to stay and right a few wrongs.

Up front though, we are probably looking for an entirely new forward line.
Not Happy

Postby The Guvnor » Sun May 30, 2021 9:29 am

Not Happy wrote:Harbottle and Stevens would surely be worthy of a long term loan or contract? Charles and Dyer on the maybe list although both are very keen to stay and right a few wrongs.

I was concentrating on our own players who have played this season. Stevens of course should be given an opportunity at NL level. Looked decent when he came on yesterday and still a young developing player so of course I want him to stay. Harbottle is a good defender but any loan situation is out of our hands but again I'd be happy to see him return.

As for Dyer and Charles not for me. Midfield has been particularly poor this season and although they haven't been the worst performers we need to be so much better next year. Maybe a bit unfair but for different reasons I see them as part of the problem. Dyer can play but can't run, Charles can run but can't play.
The Guvnor

Postby Royal Blue » Sun May 30, 2021 1:42 pm

The Guvnor wrote: As I said a week ago how the current MT deal with the retention and rebuild concerns me greatly but I might be pleasantly surprised.

Many of us were pleasantly surprised with our first signing last season (Wishart) and look how that turned out. Same for Benyu (albeit I still rate him). We really need to know exactly what we want and be exceptionally clued up in dealing in the market. Fitness is important too - thinking Meekings and Stevens here (I don't suppose we can carry too many until they get fit - especially against pro sides. Loans are a bonus - you can't form a side with them. There's Langston, Lo-Everton, Shelvey and Harbottle I can think of. Tavares, maybe others? The list of players through Wealdstone last season was extraordinary - difficult to keep up with at times.

Hopefully, the board and the MT are a lot wiser this time around but its complex and finely balanced with our budget.
Last edited by Royal Blue on Sun May 30, 2021 1:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Royal Blue

Postby deadly » Sun May 30, 2021 1:43 pm

In the few games that he played in, I thought that Josh Meekings was very good in organising the defence and seemed to have a stabilizing influence on his teammates.

Unfortunately a bad injury of torn ligaments I heard meant that he had to sit out the rest of the season and without him our defence certainly seemed to suffer.
Hopefully he will be fully fit for the start of next season and get a chance to show the Stones fans his quality.
"..You love bloody Weadstone more than you love me.." answer: YES.
deadly

Postby charlie » Sun May 30, 2021 1:52 pm

Maybe Maybe Deadly but lacking any pace. Turn him he is dead meat.

Quality ?.... Always look on the bright side of life.!
charlie

Postby warren » Sun May 30, 2021 8:12 pm

some players signed 2y contracts like mendy and i think dennon so some might due to contracts
warren

Postby Blue Stone » Mon May 31, 2021 3:40 pm

OK I have some time on my hand this lovely Bank Holiday so here is the benefit of my thoughts on squad retentions. Stu - if your reading this I have years of experience of watching football so this is the best advice you're gonna get :D

OK lets dispense with contracted players first. There's no point debating their merits if they are staying anyway or possibly staying. My understanding was that there were three players on contract Dennon Lewis, Jacob Mendy Mendy and MIchee Efete. I don't have any inside knowledge only what I have read on here which may be complete and utter nonsense and often is. Plus we have recently signed Craig Fasanmade.

Next Young players. I include here Jake Askew and Hearn and Shrowder. All of them have acquitted themselves well when they have had a chance so I see no reason why they won't be staying to develop for the future. Having said that I think Jake would be in a back up rather than first choice role.

Loanees. I can't say that many of our early loanees impressed me much but the 3 we had at the end of the season George Shelvey, Riley J Harbottle and Sonny Blu Lo Everton are all worth trying to loan again next season.

Goalkeeper. Personally I would like to see the return of the Ox but as I mentioned above Shelvey didn't do anything wrong in his time with us.

Defence. Tricky this. I would keep Connor Stevens and Josh Meekings but only if they can demonstrate their fitness. I would also keep Jerome Okimo if his main role was as a left back not centre half. I think we need more height in the centre of defence but his experience and that of Meekings might be needed. I would say good bye with our best wishes to Joseph Olowu and Jack Cawley.

Midfield. Much easier - I wouldn't keep anyone. I think this was the area where we were weakest and lacked physicality. The only one i would consider is Connor Smith but rumour has it that is moot anyway. So i would say goodbye with our best wishes to Michael Philips, Ashely Charles, Alex Dyer and to Danny Green and Connor Smith if they haven't already gone.

Forwards. I would try to retain Ryan Gondoh if he wants to stay as he has demonstrated he has some ability. I would see if Ross LaFayette wants to give it another go and was fit enough. If so he may be useful particularly from the bench. I would say good bye with our best wishes to Charlie Hughes, Danny Parish and Moses Emmanuel.

If there's anyone else I've forgotten it's probably because they were forgettable so we can say good bye to them too.......

There you go.
Blue Stone

Next

Return to stonesnet forum