So what next ahead of the 2021/22 season

For all things Wealdstone FC

So what next ahead of the 2021/22 season

Postby FGW » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:32 pm

As we enter the fag end of the 2020/21 season I have lifted the post below from the recent Boreham Wood thread to allow folk to pile in with their thoughts/comments for next season...

The Guvnor wrote:We have been lucky in that we can treat this season as a fact finding mission, a luxury not many teams are afforded when they step up a level. So we've no doubt learnt many lessons but its all about implementing the changes we know are needed. Being part time is a massive disadvantage and theres no getting away from that one. You might have all the talent in the world but if the opposition are bigger, stronger and quicker then you will struggle to show it. There does seem to be a bit of knee jerk reaction from some that its all about money and how can poor old little Wealdstone even consider it but there have been examples provided on here as to how it can work. And I may be wrong but I doubt Aldershot who are full time have a much bigger budget than us so its doable, but the will has to be there. Do we see ourselves as a NL club or are we just waiting for the inevitable to happen and we can go back to a level we feel comfortable at ? Having seen Tim's view that we only require 4/5 players almost made me choke on my Avocado on Sourdough this morning. The only player I've seen in our squad who is consistently comfortable at this level is Mendy. At a push I'd keep Jerome as a left back only and Parish but only if we are considering playing two up top otherwise theres no point as he can't play the lone role. If I was manager all the rest would be gone. Defensively you just need to look at the goals against column and its impossible to make a strong case to keep any of them. Jerome is an exception because I still feel he can do a very decent job at left back. Midfield is without a doubt a disaster zone, one paced, ineffective and lets be honest have provided scant protection to our overworked defence all season. As for forwards we don't have any so problem solved. I also think and I've always held the view that the most important position to get right is goalkeeper. I understand its financially viable to get an on loan young keeper but it will cost you. Not only are they still learning their trade but they tend to be a bit quieter so you lack that presence which for me is massively important in that position. So I'm looking for SM to be ruthless with a capital R, failure to do so will result in failure itself. Put all the sentiment into a Black bin liner and kiss it goodbye.

Fill your'e boots.... :shock:
FGW

Re: So what next ahead of the 2021/22 season

Postby charlie » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:49 pm

We..I enjoy Guvnors comments.

Early doors last season he said Billy Clifford was not up to the standard. This proved totally incorrect. Then he jumps ship at season end and stays at Cony South.

So make of that what you will. Billy was our stand out player.. Have to disagree with his comments.. only three players up to required standard that Guvnor suggests.

For me its the.. "spine"... of the team that needs recruitment ,Great if we could get the Ox back after his injuries. So from Keeper to Centre Forward improvement needed.

As a supporter run team look at the great ground improvements for starters.. We have nothing to worry about.... Famous last words charlie !
charlie

Postby The Guvnor » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:36 pm

charlie wrote:Early doors last season he said Billy Clifford was not up to the standard. This proved totally incorrect

is that the same Billy Clifford who used to go missing when we played away when the going got a bit tough, or the same Billy Clifford who didn't fancy stepping up to the NL as the going gets a bit tough every week, or the same Billy Clifford who couldn't get into the Havant team ?
The Guvnor

Postby Kettering punchbag. » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:57 pm

Some good ponits there by someone who knows the game.
I would also add that there a very few examples in team sports where, the fans and the backing that they can provide at tough away games, as well as run of the mill homes, can inspire their club to perform at a level they shouldn't be anywhere near.
Having watched football at many levels for a few years,I firmly believe that this club is one of those examples and the "togetherness" generally shown across sections of the club as a whole will enable the team to perform to a standard that will satisfy some if not all,albeit as suggested with the addition of a number of players more suited to this level.

Kill for a pint.
Kettering punchbag.

Postby worruz » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:18 pm

charlie wrote:We..I enjoy Guvnors comments.

Early doors last season he said Billy Clifford was not up to the standard. This proved totally incorrect. Then he jumps ship at season end and stays at Cony South.

So make of that what you will. Billy was our stand out player.. Have to disagree with his comments.. only three players up to required standard that Guvnor suggests.

For me its the.. "spine"... of the team that needs recruitment ,Great if we could get the Ox back after his injuries. So from Keeper to Centre Forward improvement needed.

As a supporter run team look at the great ground improvements for starters.. We have nothing to worry about.... Famous last words charlie !

To be fair at least he offers an opinion.

I don't agree with everything he says, just like I don't agree with everything you say but I respect the fact you both put yourselves out there on this forum.

I'm sure you think most of what I write is bollocks as well but I come on here spouting most days also.
I got a colour TV, so I can see, The Knicks play basketball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUoZJvdipA
worruz

Postby charlie » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:18 pm

Worruz...Dont beat your self up. !!

Nothing wrong with your comments... "We are the Stones"
charlie

Postby attic » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:00 pm

Unless we are going to accept we need to up the physicality of our team, then we may as well plan to be in the bottom four all season. I know there seems to be a hankering for us to play attractive football but we need to be realistic and aim to physically compete in all areas of the park.

Maidenhead, Borehamwood and Aldershot weren't anything special football wise but physically were clearly a level above us.

Clifford....good footballer no doubt. A fans favourite. But yes....question marks over his performance levels when up against the more physical and aggressive teams. Havant was the exception imo.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
attic

Postby Ronnie » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:01 pm

Clifford was good when he was good, but far too inconsistent. He wasn't substituted so many times without good reason, and for all his good work going forward he put us in plenty of trouble giving the ball away. He managed to get free kicks on target though which is something I'd love to see again one day.
Ronnie

Postby FGW » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:39 pm

Having watched around a dozen games (via stream) and followed the rest via Twitter or local radio it is clear that we need strength & pace in abundance along with the ability to keep the ball….

Sounds simple, however the cost associated with finding 18+ players with the right attributes is likely to be prohibitive, so unless we have a money tree reliance on youth plus the odd loan (but not a goalkeeper!) will be the approach. Consideration also needs to be given in ensuring that the back-room staff and associated support/facilities are fit for purpose….

Massive challenge for the new management team in the coming weeks, lots of lads will be looking for a new club next season….

In terms of revenue generation the club must look to bring on board new money as well as financial support from the RSC and the fan base. Introduction of a Club Membership scheme (paid via monthly DD just like your Gas and Electricity) could go some way to help cash flow. The tie-up with the Youth/Juniors needs to be revisited to gain maximum leverage when it comes to kit/ball purchase matters. Plus vastly better Match day promos/offerings.

The Club will also need to up its game to attract the local Premier League (and EFL) fan(s) to The Vale on a more regular basis. The SM and website piece needs a good shake-up with better and more regular ‘comms’ output!

The club should also consider employing someone locally with requisite skill set to deliver the off-field operations piece under the direction of the Ops Director (even if it is on a job share basis)….
FGW

Postby FGW » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:49 am

Some folk have asked what is meant by the suggested Club Membership scheme - pretty simple, a basket of items (ST, Programme ST, Share purchase, Megastore vouchers, match day food/drink vouchers etc) available to members ordered up front and paid for either at the time of order placement or over a number of months (the latter approach providing monthly cash flow to the club) with all payments made by March/April 2022.

Don't forget to get your questions submitted for the meet the chairman session tomorrow night details below, details as below

https://www.wealdstone-fc.com/post/upco ... l-meetings
FGW

Next

Return to stonesnet forum